Talk

Advanced search

Extended BFer needs to get DD onto a cup - help!

(6 Posts)
callmeovercautious Fri 11-Jul-08 22:53:24

DD is 22m. I am very happy to carry on with our 2/3 feeds a day until she self weans. However I need to let DP put her to bed once in a while for various reasons.

One of those reasons is for work - I keep getting asked if I would like to go for Dinner with the Directors/clients. I was asked recently to do an overnight business meeting etc and I have to refuse. They understood when she was small - now they just think DP is a git and won't help me. I don't want to tell them I am still BFing her.

So - she BFs in the morning most days unless DP is kind enough to get up with her and give her a cup - she is happy with this.
Naps are a nightmare unless I put her down as are bedtimes. She feeds just before sleep and will not sleep for either of us with out a BF.

She goes to Nursery 3 days a week and naps there no probs.

Help! I need to cut the tie a little.

BabiesEverywhere Sat 12-Jul-08 15:24:01

"will not sleep for either of us with out a BF"

When you tried this were you still around in the house ?

I ask, as my DD usually nurses to sleep every nap and main sleep. My DH can not put her down without a nurse, if she knows I am around...i.e. She can hear me in the house

But if I am away (like my sister's hen do) she settles well with a cuddle for DH or grandma.

theyoungvisiter Sat 12-Jul-08 15:28:04

I totally agree with babieseverywhere and have the same situation with DS (25 months)

What works for us is for me to leave the house, wave bye-bye to DS (he has to see me leave) and then he has a little play with DH and usually goes down without a murmur. If for any reason he plays up then he usually gets an hour of extra playtime and goes down when he's extremely tired.

I honestly didn't think it would work the first time we tried it but it does - and my DS is 2 and has never gone to sleep with me in the house without a BF.

They are not stupid - they know when it's available and when it's not!

onelittlelion Sat 12-Jul-08 15:34:21

My dh drives ds to sleep when I go out but he has just recently strated to fall asleep with a cuddle from dh if he's really tired. He's just 2.

onwardandupward Sat 12-Jul-08 18:00:30

Dh walking Dd to sleep in a sling might well work?

callmeovercautious Sat 12-Jul-08 20:47:06

Thanks for your replies. We have tried most of these already smile I might try the going out and leaving them alone thing again. Last time DD was poorly and would not sleep even when DP drove around.

I have come back from a staff night out to find him parked on the drive, sitting in the drivers seat with her asleep in the back! He was too scared to try and move her grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now