Talk

Advanced search

When to stop breast feeding.

(12 Posts)
Lilmo Fri 11-Jul-08 22:37:36

My dd is 14 months and i am still breast feeding twice a day.I have been back to work for 3 months now and my job is really testing me at the moment. I am so emotional and finding it hard to be a strong person at work.People keep saying to stop breast feeding as they can see that i am exhusted and not the same person any more.I love feeding but i know i need to stop i even feel emotional thinking about stopping.I have never expressed or given formula so yes she has not even had a bottle.She drinks water from a cup no bother.
What shall i do.

llareggub Fri 11-Jul-08 22:41:42

I'm not sure that stopping breastfeeding will make you less tired or emotional, to be frank. Obviously we are not all the same but I am still breastfeeding my 20 month old son and I am neither tired or emotional. Well, I'll admit, mostly I am tired but that is because my little pumpkin doesn't sleep very well at all.

I think you need to look more at the things that are testing you at work and look at ways in which you can solve those things. Is it to do with your team, the workload, what? In my experience, the time I spend breastfeeding really helps me put my work issues into perspective and gives us some lovely time to bond together.

But if you want to stop, stop. It doesn't need to something that you force yourself to do, if you see what I mean. You must do what you feel is right, not what others say.

3andnomore Fri 11-Jul-08 22:41:56

erm, feeding is going well, so, why would you want to stop if you are happy breastfeeding?
It is not breastfeeding or the fact that you are breastfeeding right now, it is that you are a mother that has changed you. People are so ready to always "blame" breastfeeding for everything. Honestly, stop when you are feeling you are ready, or if you are happy to go until your child is ready to stop, that is also perfectly fine.
Breastfeeding twice a day does NOT cause exhaustion, it's probably having a Job aswell as looking after a young child that will be somehting you have got to get used to!

thisisyesterday Fri 11-Jul-08 22:42:53

stop when you and your daughter are ready, not when people tell you to.
you may be exhausted, but I can't see that breastfeeding twice a day is adding to that??? and if you give up and you don't relaly want to you'll regret it.

If, on the other hand, you are really ready to stop then do it

thisisyesterday Fri 11-Jul-08 22:43:21

lol at all the x-posts

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 11-Jul-08 22:45:48

Message withdrawn

kiskidee Fri 11-Jul-08 22:47:27

For me working FT, bfing is one of the times when I am guaranteed a sit down when i get home and reconnect with my dd who I hadn't seen all day. I feel that since dd is in full time nursery, bfing has kept her colds and viruses from lingering or getting too bad. She has yet to have a diarrhea or vomiting and had her first course of antibiotics at three yrs old. I think bfing has spared me the stress and work of more severe illnesses.

Lots of other things in your day and lifestyle can be contributing to your exhaustion. Breastfeeding is the easy target for those who are looking in because they do not understand what is going on.

You ought to continue to bf for as long as you and your dd want to continue.

Hugs from one tired mummy to another.

lackaDAISYcal Fri 11-Jul-08 22:48:00

what everyone else said smile

Enjoy your time with your DD. I always found BFing to be really relaxing, and if I hadn't had that then I would have been even more wired about things.

llareggub Fri 11-Jul-08 22:49:01

I often jump into bed when DS is feeding and have a doze. He likes to bounce up and down on my face to wake me up and I have developed an amazing ability to doze whilst being bounced upon. Breastfeeding gives plenty of opportunity to doze and laze around on the sofa. Obviously not so much when they toddlers, but DS will still feed while I doze.

Lilmo Fri 11-Jul-08 23:22:22

Thanks so much for the messages .When i do think about it it is work i am struggling to get back into the swing of things and being round adults.

I am not going to stop as i feel we are both not ready can i carry you all in my pocket to give me a realty check when needed.

Feeling better.

Thanks to everyone..

LackaDAISYcal Fri 11-Jul-08 23:31:08

Can you talk to work about reducing your hours or your stress levels?

I know that when i went back to work when my DS was two it was really hard, but what helped was the fact that I was on a lower grade of job and only doing 30 hours a week.

I know that isn't always an easy or practical option though!

1dilemma Fri 11-Jul-08 23:39:32

I would agree with the others it's probably work thats tiring you not the feeding (I'm doing both BTW)
love the bouncing story

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now