Talk

Advanced search

I find expressing painful and it's reducing my milk supply ( a bit long) - please help

(7 Posts)
p1umpudding Fri 11-Jul-08 22:14:13

I have a 6 week old daughter who has been exclusively breastfed. I thought I would start expressing so I could have the odd night out and so I bought an electric avent pump. I managed to get out 3oz at 7.30pm (from the right breast) and I'm normally bursting to feed by 11pm, but this wasn't the case. The following day, my breast wasn't as full as it normally is and it felt quite bruised. I tried expressing from the left breast and again, my breast didn't fill up as normal and is a little sore.

Three days on and my breasts haven't recovered, they're not full and I think my milk supply is dwindling fast. I'm really upset by this and wish I hadn't started expressing at all sad .

Can anyone help or suggest anything?

lackaDAISYcal Fri 11-Jul-08 22:31:24

didn't want your post to go unanswered, but try not to panic. I'm not an expert, but have done a bit of training as a peer supporter. hopefully tiktok or hunkermunker will see this and be along to reassure you soon.

firstly, six weeks is a time of growth spurt and babies feed more than normal, so it's a common time for boobs to feel empty. It's only a feeling though; the more a baby feeds and the more you express, the more your body will produce.

Also, if your feeding is reasonably well established (usually from around 6-8 weeks) then your body is working on the supply and demand basis that you are aiming for with BFing. Is your DD feeding well and seeming to be satisfied afterwards? She would soon let you know if she wasn't.

As for feeling bruised and battered, the recommendation, certainly in the avent manual pump, is to start off gradually (for a few minutes at a time and build up). It is quite a brutal action, not gentle like your baby suckling.

evenings are often a time when your suply dips a little as well. Expressing first thing in the morning is usually more productive.

Try not to be disheartened; it sounds like you have been doing everything right and that your body is doing what it should. Perhaps lay off the expressing for a few days and then start again gradually, and put your baby to the breast as often as possible in the meantime.

there is a lot of good advice on hunkermunker's blog and kellymom

hope this helps and that someone more confident at giving advice is along shortly.
smile

kiskidee Fri 11-Jul-08 22:32:20

No real damage has been done to your supply by expressing. One phenomenon of expressing early, ie before you have bags of confidence about bfing, is that it can damage your confidence.

Take your baby to bed for the weekend. Feed as as often as your baby likes. Don't do any housework, eat all the cake and chocolate you like. Get your dp/h to do all manner of service for you because you are 'feeding the baby'. Watch and read whatever rubbish you please.

In short, be a general slattern and use that as an excuse to feed your baby as much as she likes and you like.

enjoy. your confidence will come be back.

kiskidee Fri 11-Jul-08 22:35:06

oh, the scientific wink term for what I have advised you to do is called a babymoon.

lackaDAISYcal Fri 11-Jul-08 22:44:36

babymoons are lovely. DP can join you as well for some lovely family bonding time smile

p1umpudding Sat 12-Jul-08 10:32:57

lackaDAISYcal and kiskidee - thanks for your advice on this. Looks like I'm babymooning this weekend!

LackaDAISYcal Sat 12-Jul-08 10:47:16

enjoy smile

<remembers wistfully...sigh>

actually I get to do it again in another...oh.....17 weeks or so grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now