Talk

Advanced search

Saw a poster advertising local antenatal breasffeeding group. I want to go but feel a bit weird as its my third (bf) baby

(16 Posts)
MamaG Fri 11-Jul-08 16:48:09

Do you think I'm being silly?

I successfully BF DD 9 years go

DS, 44 years ago, was BF for 6 weeks and then I was ordered persuaded by a shite HV to put him on premature baby milk (he was 11 days late!) as he failed to thrive. He didn't actually thrive on the formula either, but by then my milk supply had gone.

With hindsight, I would have stuck with BF but I felt a bit insecure and everyone made me feel I wasn't doing the best for DS by insisting on continuing to BF.

This time (24 weeks pg at the mo) I am determined to have a happy bf experience and when I saw the poster I thought ooh! Great! Mate also tells me there is a great local BF counseller.

I mentioned it to another mate in passing and she seemed to think it was more aimed at first time Mums. It won't be, will it?

Tell me its my hormones making me doubt stuff!

NorthernLurker Fri 11-Jul-08 16:55:43

Of course you should go. You are as much entitled to support and info as any first time mum. Yes you may have a bit more of an idea what life is going to be like with your baby than the first time mums - but that just makes you a valuable resource for them as well smile I really enjoyed going to an NCT Bumps and Babes gropu with my dd3. The first time mums seemed to like asking me things but I also enjoyed asking the fab NCT woman questions too grin
BTW - I'm assuming you had your ds 4 years ago not 44? wink grin - or shall we ring the Guiness Book of Records!

MamaG Fri 11-Jul-08 16:57:24

lolol - yes 4 years ago grin

Thanks for tht - I did think I'd be ok to go but you know when you start to doubt yourself...!

PrettyCandles Fri 11-Jul-08 17:02:39

Yes, do go. I have gone to ante- and post-natal bfing support with all 3 of my children. I wish I'd gone to more with my first, then I might have been more successful bfing him. Bfing support is for all mothers or mothers-to-be, and not just for those exclusively bfing for the first time. No-body will think you wrong or weird for accessing support. And you may even find that you provide support, with your range of experiences.

MsDemeanor Fri 11-Jul-08 17:04:30

Yes, definitely go. I went to a baby cafe type thing with db1 and db2 - I needed it, in just three years I'd totally forgotten how to breastfeed! I think plenty of second and third timers go to these things.

Califrau Fri 11-Jul-08 17:04:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MamaG Fri 11-Jul-08 17:05:33

hurrah

I will go (a bit later in pg)

Thank you

BTW I can spell breastfeeding, I just seem to regularly fuck up thread titles!!

Flibbertyjibbet Fri 11-Jul-08 17:06:06

Go!
I've just been to a bf support group and I stopped feeding ds2 (2.2yo) 12 months ago! If you are planning to do it this time despite difficulties last time then you are a star and mums like you are needed at the groups to encourage other mums who might be struggling.
They are not aimed at first time mums, they are aimed at anyone who is planning to bf or is bfing. A lot of the mums at ours have an older child at school or children like mine 2 and 3, are catered for with toys and snacks.
The groups are great, I spent 3 months with ds2 permenantly clamped to my chest and would have had very little opportunity to get any social life during the day if not for the groups. Everyone sits round eating biscuits, feeding their babies, gossping etc.
I still go now sometimes cos I bf 2 children so can offer support and my experiences to any other mums if they ask. A lot of mums not still feeding pop back from time to time to say hello. It was a great place to make new mum friends.

NorthernLurker Fri 11-Jul-08 17:06:13

I'll tell you another reason to go actually - you'll meet other new mums. I have a similar spread of ages to you - dds are 10, 7 and nearly 15 months and this time last year I realised I knew very few other mums at the same baby stage as me. A lot of the people I knew when the big girls were babies were at work etc - and there was I wanting to do all the whole 'lets stare at the new baby' thing with nobody to play with! grin So I went to the NCT group and it was ace smile

MarsLady Fri 11-Jul-08 17:14:11

I think you should go. It would be great for you and the other mums will see that you can still ask for advice 3 babies in.

Califrau Fri 11-Jul-08 18:42:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrannyandZooey Fri 11-Jul-08 18:47:31

oh why not
I went to LLL today and I bf ds for nearly 4 years so god knows I should know what I am doing
I went because it is nice to feel solidarity and if I have any problems it will be a good place to get advice and support

TinkerBellesMum Fri 11-Jul-08 18:58:08

You'd be surprised the amount of 2nd+ mums that went to the BFing group I used to go to. You can always come up with problems you didn't have last time and you can forget things too.

MamaG Sat 12-Jul-08 08:50:34

I'm looking forward to it now!

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 12-Jul-08 09:04:03

I was amazed when I had ds2, only 3 years after ds1, how difficult I found it to get breastfeeding established. I thought because I had done it once it would be fine the second time round.

So yes, definitely go - you might need the help anyway!

And always a good thing IMO to meet up with other mums of babies the same age as yours.

largeginandtonic Sat 12-Jul-08 09:25:44

I went to a bf clinic with dc#6! He was a useless feeder and i was at my wits end. I have bf all of mine and felt a bit of a numpty. I was great though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now