Talk

Advanced search

Powdered formula virgin - how do I make up feeds?

(5 Posts)
OatcakeCravings Fri 11-Jul-08 15:33:53

Hi,

I've been using ready made cartons of milk since my baby was born six weeks ago. I'd like to switch to powdered milk but I don't know how to make up the feeds! I know that you are only supposed to make up one feed at a time but I'd like to make up more.

So do I put cooled boiled water into the bottles and then put them in the fridge and add the appropriate amount of formula when I need it and then heat it up, or do I heat the water up first and then add the powder?

Or should I be doing something else entirely!! I don't understand this adding the powder wben the water has cooled to 70 degrees business blush

Tortington Fri 11-Jul-08 15:38:48

does it not say opnt the side of the can.

water evaporates when hot

so let it cool to get the right ratio of formula and water

just let the water cool in fridge

Fill all bottles with boiling water, leave on side until you need them, then stick in microwave for about 40-50 seconds, add powder, shake for ten seconds, check temperature and dump capped bottle in jug of cold water to cool slightly if necessary.

Some poeple don't use microwave but instead add 1/3 freshly boiled water to the cooled boiled water stored in the bottles.

By the way, it's utter common sense but I was stupid and knackered had a newborn screaming in the next room so I did this twice: don't ever be tempted to make up and shake a bottle filled with boiling water. No, it doesn't save time, yes it does explode all over you and the kitchen. shock

Tortington Sat 12-Jul-08 00:37:15

i hope the whole might of mumsnet in the 2 responses ...was sifficient!

sabire Sat 12-Jul-08 07:54:37

The new recommendations are that you add the water to the formula when the water is no lower than 70 degrees. The reason for this is that the powder is not sterile: adding the water at this temperature kills off any salmonella or enterobacter bugs that might be lurking.

You should then cool the bottle quickly and use straight away.

Some people put in half the amount of hot water, then formula, and then top up with cooled boiled water so that formula is right temperature for baby immediately.
Not sure about how this works with measuring out the right volume of water, because you're adding the second lot when the first lot has already got the powder in. I suppose you'd have to measure it out in another bottle first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now