Talk

Advanced search

Advice on feeding lying down please

(6 Posts)
needahand Fri 11-Jul-08 11:52:23

Hello. I was wondering if anyone would have any advice/suggestions. When I feed my baby sitting up, everything works well. When I try to feed him lying down at night, the milk he is taking is coming out at the same time as he is sucking through is nose. Usually I only notice when he has finished feeding and there is a massive wet patch on the bed.

I am wondering if anyone has had that problem before. Perhaps I am not positioning him as I should? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as feeding sitting up is wearing me down as it takes me absolute ages to fall back asleep afterwards (and then it is time for the next feed)

Will come back later to check this thread. Please please post anything useful

rebstoddy Fri 11-Jul-08 12:35:12

This is a common problem! Have now bf 4 babies & ended up with wet patches - as baby tends to snooze n dribble!!!
Get yourself a mattress protector, the ones that go on top of the bed (can be bought in all good baby stores)& then it's not such a big deal. As babes get older, this becomes less of a problem x

scorpio1 Fri 11-Jul-08 12:39:23

i put a folded up muslin under her head to protect the bed.

does the latch feel right, comfy?

Mummyfor3 Fri 11-Jul-08 13:28:33

It took my DS3 about 6 weeks to master the lying down latch: he used to suffocated on big boobies grin initially and literally have to come up for air. Since he is a bit bigger (now 15 weeks) everything is fine, although like yours when v sleepy he dribbles; my impression however is that wet patch comes from corner of mouth. He sometimes possets through nose, poor thing, generates lots of coughing and spluttering.
Like rebstoddy, I have a mattress protector and try not to lie on wet patch.. smile

needahand Fri 11-Jul-08 15:56:49

Thanks for the advice. Is there anything I should do to avoid him being sick through the nose?

Mummyfor3 Fri 11-Jul-08 17:31:17

I do not know that there is anything you CAN do... I find it a bit alarming, too, however DS does not seem to be too bothered, once he has stopped coughing and spluttering.. They are resilient little blighters, after all smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now