Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and Night Sweats

(16 Posts)
WidgetWB Fri 11-Jul-08 10:51:36

DS 3 is just over a week old and exclusively BF and I am experiencing the most horrific night sweats! I BF'd both DS1 and 2 and can't remember doing it this badly, if at all. Why is this happening and is it normal? I mean literally sweating to the point that my feeding bra is drenched! My entire body - all night dripping - sexy thought huh - yuk! Definitely not ill as not cold and shaky or hot and shaky, just soaking wet. Can't find any literature on google, so am I a freak and will it go away anytime soon?

Tatties Fri 11-Jul-08 10:53:43

I used to get this too in the early days of bf. It just stopped eventually. I can't remember exactly but probably didn't go on much past 6-8 weeks

cmotdibbler Fri 11-Jul-08 10:56:33

My colleague had those - went when her DS was about 10 weeks iirc

pedilia Fri 11-Jul-08 11:00:55

DD4 is 2 weeks old and I frequently experience the same things, I don't remember having with the first three either!

Bumperlicious Fri 11-Jul-08 11:01:25

I used to get these all the time, and my sweat smelt of sour milk (urgh!). Used to keep me awake. It does go fairly quickly though, it it perfectly normal, though I would need more evidence to determine whether or not you are a freak grin

WidgetWB Fri 11-Jul-08 14:29:02

hilarious message bumperlicious - not a freak i promise! Feel much better that someone else, especially some people have experienced the same thing - phew! ITs horrid isn't it?! Thank you so much.

Clydesdaleclopper Fri 11-Jul-08 21:20:44

I had it so bad I had to sleep on a towel as the mattress got soaked. You have my sympathies.

poppy34 Sat 12-Jul-08 19:29:13

not sure that should feel reassured by this thread but I do... been soaking the bed for last 2 weeks (dd 2 weeks old) - will look forward to the fact it might stop some time soon...

lactator Sat 12-Jul-08 19:52:34

It is perfectly normal and healthy . The frequent night feeds are suppressing oestrogen levels to such a low level, which is causing the night sweats. The same night sweats ladies of a certain age get during the menopause when the oestrogen levels are low. Oh, the glamour !

It is very common in the early weeks. I experienced this with four out of five babies, and while it is not that much fun, it is good to know it is temporary and "normal".

Slickbird Sat 12-Jul-08 19:55:06

Yip, I had it too, with both of my DD's. It does get better. Especially when you stop. Arf arf. Sorry.

chunkypudding Sat 12-Jul-08 19:56:40

yep i was disgusting for a while, was worried there had been wee involved a couple of times i was so sopping! it was horrid and i felt utterly gross and freakoid.

does go tho. although am still much hotter at night now and ds neatly 3 months, no longer wake up drowning grin

occasional milk disasters if ds actually manages to sleep for more than few hours as my boobs get confused, but other than that am approaching normal (with regard to night-time sogginess anywaygrin)

chunkypudding Sat 12-Jul-08 19:57:31

sadly not 'hotter' in the foxy lady sense.

domesticslattern Sat 12-Jul-08 19:57:44

I was told by my doctor that it was nothing to do with bf, but just a natural thing after you give birth you sweat out various chemicals/ hormones etc.

lactator Sat 12-Jul-08 20:20:24

Yes, that is true in the first few days following the birth, DS, but the night sweats in the following weeks/couple of months are down to frequent BF's.:0

domesticslattern Sat 12-Jul-08 21:45:02

Aha, that's interesting lactator. I am still bf at night (7 months- I know, I know) and constantly feeling boiling hot. But not sweating so much any more thankfully!

llareggub Sat 12-Jul-08 21:48:50

I'd forgotten about this. I had it, but had tucked it away in the part of my memory protecting me from the horror of those first 6 weeks or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now