Talk

Advanced search

Does defrosted expressed BM taste off?

(11 Posts)
bluegrey Thu 10-Jul-08 21:27:37

I'm using it to make up baby cereal and it tastes a bit curdled. I've tried defrosting 3 separate batches and they all taste the same - ie not quite right. When I try with freshly expressed milk it tastes fine. Is it my freezer not doing its job properly or is it just how defrosted expressed milk is??

WigWamBam Thu 10-Jul-08 21:29:40

It's called saponification - have a quick search, there are lots of posts about it.

The easiest way to avoid it is to scald the milk before you freeze it.

beansprout Thu 10-Jul-08 21:31:12

Mine did this, it was a PITA but scalding is the answer.

thisisyesterday Thu 10-Jul-08 21:33:58

mine does it too. scalding def helps

BexieID Thu 10-Jul-08 21:35:31

I didn't know this. Did wonder why it looked different. May expain Toms whole fussiness issues when having a bottle of expressed milk.

BouncingTurtle Thu 10-Jul-08 21:42:04

What exactly is scalding?

spicemonster Thu 10-Jul-08 21:45:24

It's heating to just below boiling point. Some bm doesn't freeze very well and scalding means it freezes and defrosts fine and doesn't curdle.

BouncingTurtle Thu 10-Jul-08 21:50:52

Ahh thanks.

Mamatastic Thu 10-Jul-08 22:08:16

I found this too, my DS refused bottles of defrosted EBM and once I whiffed it I knew why. I gave up offering any bottles in the end as I think the whiffy ones put him off!

bluegrey Thu 10-Jul-08 22:21:19

Thanks everyone. So if I don't scald it, does that mean I shouldn't give it to her? Will it upset her stomach the way it is without scalding?

WigWamBam Fri 11-Jul-08 11:25:33

It won't harm her. She might not like the taste though, so may reject it.

Have a look at this from Kellymom - scroll down a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now