Talk

Advanced search

pianful boob reducing me to tears when my 3 week old ds feeds but no red patches?

(14 Posts)
debinaustria Thu 10-Jul-08 07:50:34

I have a horrendously painful right boob, underneath the nipple but no red patches so I don't think it's mastitis but just to touch the area is very sore and when Ethan feeds I cry - real tears. I took to breathing through the pain this morning!

I have fed ds1 and 2 until a year old so I feel like it should be easier than this but it has been 6 years.I have suffered with mastitis before and even though the pain is similar, I'm not fluey or have a temeprature.

Any ideas?

Mummyfor3 Thu 10-Jul-08 09:14:42

Could this be a blocked duct or milk gland rather than mastitis? The pain is v similar but without the flu like symptoms and no fever.
Try hot compresses before feeds, cold compress/cabbage leaf after feed, frequent feeds, try different position (rugby hold), express (often more comfortable than baby, but less effective).
Are you based in Austria? Can you access RL advice, ie lactation support person to look at you and your poor boob?
Other possiblility is thrush if there is no palpable lump. Is your nipple/aureola red/shiny/whitish patches in babies mouth? This would require treatment with prescription medication for you and Ethan ideally. Maybe you should see GP?

Good luck, I hope things settle soon smile.

Lemontart Thu 10-Jul-08 09:18:19

I had a lot of pain and discomfort with no redness/swelling or temp when I had mastitis. Then suddenly I cam down with a roaring headache, temp zoomed up and within an hour or two was really very ill (GP talking about hospital etc)
Not saying that to frighten you, just to say that I would take this as a warning something is not quite right and don’t wait for it to get worse! Get hold of medical advice from someone who can see you and check you over properly. Just not worth waiting when you have really bad pain.
My total sympathy though - it is horrendously toe curling feeding through that type of pain.
Hopefully if will clear quickly, but take no risks and get yourself checked out today xx

Romy7 Thu 10-Jul-08 09:21:06

thrush?

debinaustria Thu 10-Jul-08 10:10:33

Thanks everyone, Yeas I am based in Austria, I have phoned the hospital where I had Ethan and I'm going in at 2.00 for them to look at my poor boob!!

I have the headache already Lemontart!

VeniVidiVickiQV Thu 10-Jul-08 10:12:32

Could well be thrush. No redness or visible soreness sometimes. The pain last long after the feed too.

MumtoPhoebeboo Thu 10-Jul-08 11:19:06

I sometimes found that breastfeeding on all fours with the baby underneath me on a cushion helped to drain all the milk ducts and often eased any pain. It can be a bit tricky manouevering into such a position but can work wonders! Hope this might help!

LookingForwardToSummer Thu 10-Jul-08 12:32:37

Sounds like it might be a blocked duct - is there any hardness? I had one a few weeks ago and mn-ers advised bath and gently but firmly massaging the boob towards the middle + lots of feeding. It jolly well hurt (paracetamol) but did get better quickly!

debinaustria Thu 10-Jul-08 18:43:06

Thanks for the advice, I am back armed with my cabbage leaves for after a feed and a hot compress for before feeds - apparently MW said it was a warning of mastitis i.e. - take a rest!! Still very painful but I have tips on what to do now. Will try the all fours idea too.

BouncingTurtle Thu 10-Jul-08 18:53:55

Combing your boob in the shower might help as well!
I had a blocked duct, the thing that helped me was to get ds to feed on that boob, and massage firmly towards the nipple. It really hurt but didn't last long!

SammyC Thu 10-Jul-08 18:57:44

I put a hot face towel on my boob in the bath to soothe it!

I also held my wee ones under the arm like a rugby for feeding as this helped draw milk down from the area that seemed to be getting blocked........it may be worth a try.

I also send sympathy, its the worst thing to have and I had it too many times..........

I also massaged my boob whilst feeding esp the sore area to assist with the blockage, it hurts but def made a difference.

Hope to hear good reports soon x

debinaustria Thu 10-Jul-08 21:26:09

So is there anything I can do to stop it from happening again?

I smell of cabbage now, especially as I started warming up my boob ready for the next feed when I realised I still had cabbage leaves in my bra!!

dizzydixies Thu 10-Jul-08 21:28:11

do you have one of those net spongy things for in the shower?

I used one of those to massage my breast in the shower - massage down towards nipple and it REALLY helped smile

lackaDAISYcal Thu 10-Jul-08 21:30:53

if you can change his position such that his chin is working on the sore area it can help to clear things quicker.....feeding him on all fours can help you get in the right position relatvie to him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now