Talk

Advanced search

breast feeding

(9 Posts)
denisem0 Wed 09-Jul-08 10:05:21

i breast feed once now just in the night when my little boy wakes up, but i would like to know if anyone has any tips on how to get your child to sleep right through the night without the need for another feed?

theSuburbanDryad Wed 09-Jul-08 10:06:50

Hi Denise.

How old is your ds?

denisem0 Wed 09-Jul-08 10:08:53

what is the best way to cut out that one and only breast feed left that happens in the middle of the night? and how do you get your baby to then sleep right the way through the night? My son is now 7 months old and still has one breast feed as he still wakes up in the night.

denisem0 Wed 09-Jul-08 10:09:51

hiya, he is 7 months old

theSuburbanDryad Wed 09-Jul-08 10:12:31

Well, this probably isn't the answer you're looking for but:

I would leave well alone for now. If he's waking once in the night that sounds fantastic and completely normal for a bf baby. IMO there's too much emphasis placed on "sleeping through" when there's really no need. My ds is 18 months and still wakes up for feeds in the night smile (which drives me up the wall sometimes - but mostly it's ok)

Does your little one go straight back to sleep after a feed? At 7 months it's still very normal for him to need nourishment - as well as comfort - in the night.

theSuburbanDryad Wed 09-Jul-08 10:13:32

Just to clarify - is this the only breastfeed he has? The one in the night? Does he have formula in the day?

thumbwitch Wed 09-Jul-08 10:16:51

Denise, have you tried really feeding him up and making sure he is fully hydrated before he goes to sleep? My DS is also 7mo and his dinner is always bigger than his other meals, and then I bf him until he goes to sleep. Mostly he goes through from 9:30pm until 8:30am, unless he didn't get enough fluid before he went to sleep, in which case he wakes up for a drink.

denisem0 Wed 09-Jul-08 10:26:05

This is the only breast feed he has, and i make sure he has bottles throughout the day and cooled boiled water aswell. Before he goes to bed he has porridge or farleys and another bottle but he doesnt normally finish that one. I never really thought of it like that though so it is good that he only wakes up the once, occasionally it is twice but he does always go back off and he was quite a big baby at birth aswell! I think maybe i just asumed that he should be sleeping right through now, but my mind has been put more at rest. Thank You

une Wed 09-Jul-08 20:38:06

I know this might sound as a weir question, but have you gone back to work? Since this is the only breastfeed he gets, maybe he just want to be near you? He gets enougt food douring the day, so he won't starve from sleeping through. What if you bf him before bed or in the morning?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now