Talk

Advanced search

Baby only wants left boob!

(8 Posts)
LookingForwardToSummer Tue 08-Jul-08 12:06:22

My dd (4 months) seems to have developed an aversion to my right boob. She'll have it for a bit but then gets very angry and wants the other one, it's not really being emptied properly and I don't want my supply to be diminished. Any suggestions?

LookingForwardToSummer Tue 08-Jul-08 20:05:43

Anyone?

mckenzie Tue 08-Jul-08 20:13:11

I had this same problem with DC2 (DC1 had no problems with it). I tried sitting differently, using the rugby ball hold etc, offering that side when I knew she was really hungry.
I asked the professionals for help and I can remember one day having the local NCT breast feeding counsellor, my midwife and the health visitor all in the lounge manhandling me and DD to try and get her to latch on and suck and I lost the plot and screamed at them to all leave! With hindsight i wished that I had expressed from that side and fed from the other side but instead I gave up sad. You do have the option of feeding just from one side. Your supply will be fine but you might end up wonky smile

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 08-Jul-08 20:17:13

Some women manage to feed just from one side, altho as mckenzie said you may be a bit wonky. I would have thought that at 4 months your supply would be failry well established, but I'm sure some one more knowlegeable will come along...

DS always had a pref when younger for my left boob, tried diff positions etc for right side and he went back to it eventually

TheRedQueen Tue 08-Jul-08 20:33:51

I had this problem with DD. The midwife suggested that it may be to do with the fact that she could hear/feel my heart beating more strongly when on the left side and so got greater "comfort" from feeding on that side. Her suggested solution was to stroke DD's cheek, keep eye contact with her and talk softly to her while she fed on the right - so as to make that side equally as "attractive" as the left.

I would have to say that I definitely saw an improvement when I did what she suggested. However, it's hard to whether she was right or whether she just helped me calm down a bit!

JentlyDoesIt Tue 08-Jul-08 20:40:38

I am having exactly the same prob with DD at the moment (12 weeks) - I am trying the rugby hold and trying it when she is really hungry etc. Will give TheRedQueens suggestion also.

DS went through stages of preferring one boob to the other but it passed after a couple of days.

Good luck!

LadyBee Wed 09-Jul-08 12:51:28

Are you right or left-handed? I always felt a bit awkward feeding from my right because my left arm is a bit weaker/less coordinated and consequently I think DS didn't feel as well supported. Using a firm breastfeeding cushion helped a lot, but we still have trouble when we're out of the house, I just really try to concentrate hard on positioning well and holding him close when he's on that side.

thefish22 Sat 02-Aug-08 02:07:15

hi, also having same problem with six month old. I looked on web there are lots of solutions. The one for me that worked was to start with prefered boob (left) and get sucking going for a minute or two, in rugby hold, then quickly and gently move baby over to less favoured boob (right) in standard hold so baby is not disturbed. It is a bit fiddly but seems to help a bit. Your problem is common, good luck. fx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now