Talk

Advanced search

So are we going to predict hipp organic formula milk will go up in price too?

(39 Posts)
FioFio Mon 07-Jul-08 11:34:44

Message withdrawn

FioFio Mon 07-Jul-08 11:35:19

Message withdrawn

n5rje Mon 07-Jul-08 13:55:02

I have called the Farleys customer careline this morning to make just that point and to ask how the price rise can be justified. I was told that it was because the composition of the milk had been improved. I queried whether it could have improved by such an extent that the price had risen from (in my local Tesco) around £4.60 to £7.99. I am about to start FF with my 18wo and was planning to use Farleys but have told Heinz that I will not be buying the new brand as I think they are profiteering. Have you also noticed that the new pack size appears (to me) to be bigger than other brands which could mislead people into thinking that it is bigger than the standard 900g ?

constancereader Mon 07-Jul-08 13:57:17

Ds is not having formula anymore so I didn't realise this. It is appalling.

Mummy2Freya Mon 07-Jul-08 14:25:37

"commited to fair prices" uhhuh angry

FioFio Mon 07-Jul-08 19:27:01

Message withdrawn

startingtogetveryworried Mon 07-Jul-08 19:27:39

I think the demand for Hipp is going to go through the roof - I went to a baby group today and LOADS of people have put their babies from farleys to hipp.

MinkyChunky Mon 07-Jul-08 19:29:03

Blimey!

nappyaddict Mon 07-Jul-08 19:30:00

i've always used hipp with ds. it was the cheapest at £4.89 a tin in asda so i thought i might aswell start with the cheapest and then move on to a more expensive one if it didn't suit ds.

ConnorTraceptive Mon 07-Jul-08 19:30:28

I used farley's when ds1 went onto formula and was planning to use it again when I start giving ds2 the occassional bottle when he's 6 months but will be boycotting it now.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 07-Jul-08 19:52:13

"I was told that it was because the composition of the milk had been improved"

So have I just put some cheap crap in my son's bedtime bottle even though the tin it came in proclaims 'Heinz - leading the way in baby nutrition for 75 years'.

Anyone got a tin of the new stuff we can compare ingredients with my old style tin of farleys.

I only buy it cos its a lot less faff to carry a tin of that home once a month or so than to keep lugging extra cows milk home nearly every day... think I'll try and find a milkman.

n5rje Mon 07-Jul-08 20:49:19

I haven't chosen a brand of formula yet and am lucky enough to be able to afford to pay the extra for a different brand but was hoping not to have to. I feel for those who have got their babies used to Farleys and spending £4.60 a tin and now have the double whammy of a new taste and £2.40 per tin extra cost. I don't know how long a tin lasts but even if you use one a week this will soon add up. The new "improved" ingredients are prebiotics and betapol(supposed to ease constipation) - does anyone have any information on whether these are essential ingredients or is this all a marketing gimmick ?

Flibbertyjibbert - I agree if the new stuff is so much better that the cost has increased so much it makes you wonder about the old one which I happily gave to my 3 older DCs

BouncingTurtle Mon 07-Jul-08 20:55:33

My friend feeds her ds this, he is 10mo so will be going onto cow's milk soon but she is still pretty annoyed. I think someone suggested on another thread to look in places like Lidl/Aldi and independent chemists as they may have some of the old Farley's stock left.

lackaDAISYcal Mon 07-Jul-08 21:09:00

would watchdog even be remotely interested?

maybe we should have a mass compliant to consumer direct! I've done it already.

Can't believe they are justifying a 50% price hike though. I always thought heinz were one of the less evil formula manufacturer's out there. they have gone down in my estimation and I'm pretty damn sure I'll make every effort now to ensure that not a drop of formula will pass future DSs lips.

gallery Mon 07-Jul-08 21:31:39

Like other moms, I am switching to HIpp, what is the point of going to Nurture when they have revised the formula- it is therefore a different milk so I might as well try a cheaper one. I would like to make my irritation with Heinz felt- they have poorly communicated this, leaving many harassed and frazzled parents chasing small chemists for the last stocks of milk- perhaps in a desperate hope we will all quietly move onto their more expensive brand. No chance- I like someone elses post on another thread saying they are boycotting Heinz products. It has made me think

DanJARMouse Mon 07-Jul-08 21:35:20

I reckon it will Fio, but hopefully not before I can get DS to 12mnths old!

Will be finishing the tin of cow&gate that he is on at the moment, and buying Hipp.

Committed to fair prices MY ARSE!

DanJARMouse Mon 07-Jul-08 21:36:06

I reckon it will Fio, but hopefully not before I can get DS to 12mnths old!

Will be finishing the tin of cow&gate that he is on at the moment, and buying Hipp.

Committed to fair prices MY ARSE!

lackaDAISYcal Mon 07-Jul-08 21:45:06

good point gallery about the lack of information about it. When the cartons started getting scarce I looked on their website and there was nothing on it about "farleys" being discontinued.

I'm going to contact them tomorrow to complain about it. DD is 13 months now and doesn't technically need it any more but she is a picky eater so she still has a bottle of formula at night.

FioFio Tue 08-Jul-08 14:13:55

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Tue 08-Jul-08 14:16:44

F-ing hell that's appalling!!

I wouldn't have thought Hipp would suddenly shoot up in proce - if they stay competitively priced with non-organic brands they should clean up. after the Farley's hike.

startingtogetveryworried Tue 08-Jul-08 15:14:19

I have just bought a carton of £9 aptamil and it will hopefully be my last. Going to buy some hipp and start introducing it. Hopefully DD will go for it and I can save almost 50% on her milk.

misdee Tue 08-Jul-08 15:19:28

what? they whacked the price up overnight by £3.30 thats disgusting!

i was buying a baby cup yesterday dd4, and they were in the same ailse as the baby milks, i wil ladmit i almost fainted at the prices of formula. i think aptamil was £7.50 a box/tin. and that was always the priciest when dd1+2 were FF.

DanJARMouse Tue 08-Jul-08 15:19:57

I had an email in response to my complaint.

All the usual blah blah blah about how much better the milk is, and how much better the packaging is (including the fact they now have a scoop leveller just like cow & gate)

no justification at all

replied along the lines of commitment to fair prices hahaha and told them to check out mumsnet for others views and how we are all switching to hipp organic!

misdee Tue 08-Jul-08 15:37:44

i am absolutly disgusted on all of yours behalfs.

am angry

hunkermunker Tue 08-Jul-08 15:58:25

Read this thread for a discussion of the ingredients they're actually putting in the formula

Making it better? Really? Sounds like a bit of an own goal for Heinz, really - although I would imagine they don't give a shit about the mums of babies currently feeding their babies Farleys - they'll be looking at the £££ they can make from women who use their brand in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now