Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding - seemingly stupid question ...............

(11 Posts)
Harrysmom Mon 24-Jan-05 18:16:19

Can I re-start breast feeding does anyone know, I quit about 4 weeks ago, but still seem to have a smidgen left, can I pick it up again?

hercules Mon 24-Jan-05 18:17:12

I think so. Speak to an nct bf counsellor.

pixiefish Mon 24-Jan-05 18:17:33

try- think i have heard of people restarting but don't know after how long.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Mon 24-Jan-05 18:25:28

I'm pretty sure that you can, but it may take a while to re-establish the flow iykwim.

oatcake Mon 24-Jan-05 18:39:30

you definitely can.

The best way is to put baby to the breast as this stimulates oxytocin and then the let down reflex. At first, there'll be no milk but doing it over time (don't ask how long - but could find out) will establish your milk supply again. On top of that, try expressing to stimulate your supply.

Harrysmom Mon 24-Jan-05 20:18:55

I going to keep trying. He's rejecting it a bit right now (obviously because he's not getting any)....I think its me who misses it more than him !!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 24-Jan-05 20:42:31

I believe this can be done. How old is your DS?

If you search for "relactation" online you will see many resources, and of course talking to a bf counsellor is a very good idea.

Harrysmom Mon 24-Jan-05 20:46:06

He's 6 months. I gave up when I started to wean him onto solids, he just didn't seem to be satisfied with breast. He's got a big appetite! Will have a search on the internet and see how it goes.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 24-Jan-05 20:50:48

I'm pretty sure that after BF for 5 months, stopping for 4 weeks won't make you dry up entirely.

I find this website often useful for bf.

mummylonglegs Mon 24-Jan-05 20:52:10

Harrysmom, I think you might be surprised! I b/f dd until she was 18 months, just one feed a day for the last 3 months or so. She's 2.3 now and when I have a bath and wash my breasts I still get little bits of milk coming out!

Harrysmom Mon 24-Jan-05 20:57:59

Blimey. Yes I am suprised. I have read a couple of articles and there seems to be a gadget you can get with "rewards" the baby with formula through a tube attached to the nipple, until milk supply is re-established, this might help with him rejecting me. Im not sure it will work though, as he is such a hungry baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now