Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

How long after stopping b/fing does it take to stop producing milk!!!!!

(15 Posts)
Wills Mon 24-Jan-05 15:16:09

Am I normal! I stopped when dd2 was 10 months having struggled with thrush for the entire time . 8 months on (yep she's almost 18 months now) and I'm still producing milk which of course means that I've still got a little bit of thrush!!!! I've heard of 6 months after b/fing for 3 years but I've never heard of 8 months. Any advice?

pixiefish Mon 24-Jan-05 15:20:17

I'm not casting any aspursions on you at all- please don't be offended- but- are you sure it's milk? or could it be something to do with the thrush?

piffle Mon 24-Jan-05 15:22:44

i stopped feeding ds when he was 16 mths I could still squeeze milk out 5 yrs afterwards
I stopped feeding dd now 2 at 16 mths and still have loads!
I think and have always assumed it is perfectly normal to have it for donkeys afterwards
Surely the doc can help you out with the trush with something?
I do hope so

tiktok Mon 24-Jan-05 15:23:21

You can produce milk on squeezing for years after stopping.

PrettyCandles Mon 24-Jan-05 15:23:27

It can take ages, especially if you keep having a squeeze to see if there's anything there. You're utterly normal, I'm sure. There is huge variation. I only mixed-fed ds for 5.5m, yet had milk for probably as long afterwards. I fed dd for 23m, but think I'm completely dry now, 2months after stopping. And there are some women who, once they've lactated, can always squeeze a couple of drops out!

Still having milk shouldn't have any effect on the thrush - afte rall, it can be cleared up while breastfeeding. I thing you ought to go to the GP about it - no need for you to suffer so.

Sponge Mon 24-Jan-05 15:24:08

I gave up b/f at 3 months and 3 months later can still squeeze a bit out. Not sure how long it takes but quite a while to disappear altogether.

kama Tue 25-Jan-05 15:41:32

Message withdrawn

highlander Wed 26-Jan-05 04:36:13

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Nobody ever told me I'd be producing milk for the rest of my life. Gross

briggy Wed 26-Jan-05 17:47:22

i stopped 12 days ago & i can still squeeze a bit out. i still get the pain tho, when he's due a feed

hercules Wed 26-Jan-05 17:48:46

A friend of mine can still get milk out if she squeezes 7 years later.

dawnie1 Wed 26-Jan-05 17:51:38

Thank you Wills for asking this question. I stopped breastfeeding my dd at 6 months and she is now 16 months and I still produce milk, particularly around the time of my period. I was starting to get concerned but this thread has reassured me that I'm normal (at least in this respect )

triceratops Wed 26-Jan-05 17:59:31

I still get milk on squeezing 2 years on

prunegirl Wed 26-Jan-05 18:11:08

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Wed 26-Jan-05 18:22:53

I was a bit embarrassed a few weeks ago to find myself producing milk as the doctor (female)examined my breasts, a good ten months after stopping b/f. She said it was quite normal to keep on producing small amounts, and I thought I once heard that any woman who has previously lactated (no matter how old she is) is technically capable of starting up again.

briggy Wed 26-Jan-05 18:30:34

i fed my eldest til she was 18 mths, & when i was pregnant with my son a 6 mths later my boss asked me if i'd spilt nething down myself. i hadn't it was milk!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: