Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Introducing one bottle of formula per day for 5.5 month old - what time of day is best?

(6 Posts)
dinosaur Tue 18-Jan-05 10:58:58

I'm considering starting DS3 on one bottle of formula per day.

Up until now he has been almost entirely breastfed. He's had about half a dozen bottles of formula in total, and a few half-hearted attempts at baby rice.

Can anyone tell me

(a) is this a good idea

(b) if so, which feed to give it? He feeds all bloody day and night at the moment, so I was wondering if giving him one at 11 p.m. might buy me a couple of hours sleep then.

I have to go back to work on 21 February, so sooner or later he has to move onto formula as I am not dedicated enough to express whilst at work - mainly because I don't know where the hell I'd do it!

Ideas/experience/input please.

A very drained dinosaur...

aloha Tue 18-Jan-05 11:04:25

I don't think it matters. Introduce it when it is best for you. I mixed fed my son but carried on breastfeeding until he was over a year and actually found it pretty unproblematic. I went back to work at around 5months for three days a week, expressed in the loo (!) - I like my privacy - and fed him myself more on the days I wasn't working. I also fed morning and night and in the night too. Some of those feeds were formula - esp when dh did them. You could try 11pm - made no difference to my son's sleep (or rather, non-sleep) patterns, but other people say it did for their babies. I would also give formula if, say, I wanted to wear a dress or go out for a few hours. With a frequent feeder like ours and at this age, I would say that it doesn't really affect supply.
Good luck with going back to work.

bakedpotato Tue 18-Jan-05 11:27:08

i started mixed-feeding at 4 mths. at first it was a formula topup (after a breastfeed) at 10.30pm because my supply was very low at that time of night, but pretty soon DD was sleeping through so we phased both out by 6 mths.
the last 2 breastfeeds i kept were the first-thing-the-morning/bedtime ones, and i kept them going till around 8 mths.
i think -- it's getting a bit vague now -- i gradually slotted in 2 bottles, midmorning and early afternoon, over a fortnight, and found the remaining breastfeeds weren't compromised at all because they were roughly 12 hrs apart. it wasn't problematic at all. HTH.

cads Tue 18-Jan-05 20:49:21

Hi Dinosaur

How many milk feeds does he have? And how old is he? In theory, giving him formula at the 11pm feed should help him go longer but as bakedpotato said it doesn't always work. I only managed to get an extra 1hr sleep before the next feed. Only once I had moved ds onto formula for all feeds and started him on solids did I manage to get him through from 10pm till +-7am (at about 5mnths). If he is ok with drinking from bottles then try see if he will take the bottle at 11pm or before bed, especially if you think you milk supply might be low at that time of day. DS will gulp down anything so I never had a problem getting him to take a bottle or to drink formula. Must say I was quite gutted that he didn't put up a fight when I stopped breastfeeding, it was harder for me than him, feel quite betrayed.

janeybops Tue 18-Jan-05 20:51:55

i used to give my 1 bottle of formula in the afternoon. About 3 pm

dinosaur Wed 19-Jan-05 13:50:40

Thanks everyone.

I gave him a bottle of formula last night at about 10.15 p.m. He really enjoyed it (although only drank about 4 oz) and went back to sleep at least as quickly as if I'd breastfed him, so that was good. He only slept until 12.30 a.m. before the next wake-up, but that and subsequent wake-ups were pretty brief, so all in all it seemed to work well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now