Talk

Advanced search

teats, colic and dr browns bottles...help please!

(16 Posts)
pinacolada82 Tue 20-May-08 14:29:11

hi i have a 3 week old baby who has colic, and i have just switched to dr brown bottles out of desperation - 2 days in and they seem to have helped, but before i started using dr brown, she was using avent bottles and number 2 teats as the hv suggested that she wasnt getting enough milk at each feed as the milk wasnt coming fast enough. I have used the level one teats that came with the dr brown bottles, but she is taking less at a feed and taking even longer to have it - i was going to buy the level 2 teats so the milk comes out quicke - but altho i have read the leaflet that explains how the bottles reduce colic the sleep deprivation is not letting me make sense of it - but im wondering if i use the nxt level teats will this defeat the object of the dr brown bottles, ie does a teat with a bigger hole contribute towards colic anyway?

sorry if this makes no sense and im wittering...im very very veru tired!!

thanks for any help x

Medowflowers Tue 20-May-08 14:36:17

It does get easier smile - ds1 was just the same. I tried the vary flow teats, but he couldnt cope with the faster milk flow, so I did use the 1st size. I suppose it depends on the baby as to which teat - a bit of trial and error.

All the problems stopped for us when I put him onto cow and gate comfort milk. A different baby within 24hrs. Much less exhausted / anxious mummy and daddy!
Ds2 straight onto comfort milk when I stopped breast feeding. No bother.

needahand Tue 20-May-08 14:43:44

My DD had colic and I went to see a cranial osteopath. It really worked wonders and couldn't recommending going to see one enough. Not really answering your questions but might help anyway. Personally I think doctors, HV etc use colic generically to describe "consistent and unidentifiable source of crying".

PussinJimmyChoos Tue 20-May-08 14:47:36

DS had Dr Brown bottles - they still do their magic even with the different size teats and your baby does seem to be able to cope with a larger teat so try it and see how it goes

pinacolada82 Tue 20-May-08 15:55:23

thank you! can i use avent teats which i already have in size two or is it best to get some dr brown ones?

Cicatrice Tue 20-May-08 16:01:42

Infacol helped with my little one's colic, though it takes a few days to kick in.

The Dr Brown bottles helped as well.

pinacolada82 Tue 20-May-08 16:02:39

yes am using infacol too, hopefully one or both will take effect very soon and allow me some sleep and sanity! smile

pinata Tue 20-May-08 16:24:46

DD had colic and dr brown's bottles - the bottles helped (much as i hated scrubbing them with the little mascara brush!), and also colief made a HUUUUUUUUUUGE difference. It's different to infacol etc in that it helps with digesting lactose, rather than releasing trapped wind

teat wise, i found variflow teats the best option, so the baby regulates how much milk they get by how hard they suck. Having said that, i don;t know if you can get variflow dr browns ones, but i guess you could use others. we use boots variflow teats in mothercare bottles now

pinacolada82 Tue 20-May-08 17:14:42

thanks pinata, might give colief a try if infacol fails

etchasketch Tue 20-May-08 17:25:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sullwah Tue 20-May-08 17:56:22

My two boys were farting like troupers before we switched to Dr Browns. So I a a big fan too.

They are over three months now and still using stage 1 teats.

You cant use AVENT teats - it causes the bottles to leak horribly.

vimtolover Wed 17-Aug-11 14:55:39

My ds is 3 weeks old and I have had the same problems with what I now believe to be colic or lactose intolerance. The doctor prescribed Colief and it's amazing. 4 drops into his breast milk, given on a teaspoon followed by a normal feed and he sleeps for 4 hours at night which means I get woken up once at half past two and then and half past six in the morning. Sheer bliss. He is so much better. I am just trying to work out how to get my medela breast pump working now so that I can express milk to mix the drops in before going to bed, I am doing it by hand at the moment. It's working okay but I though I would try a bottle.
I had used Infacol before this but it made him sick his milk up after 24 hours so I stopped it.
You can buy Colief at the chemist it's 11.99. Free in prescription.
It is amazing.

vimtolover Wed 17-Aug-11 14:56:35

My ds is 3 weeks old and I have had the same problems with what I now believe to be colic or lactose intolerance. The doctor prescribed Colief and it's amazing. 4 drops into his breast milk, given on a teaspoon followed by a normal feed and he sleeps for 4 hours at night which means I get woken up once at half past two and then and half past six in the morning. Sheer bliss. He is so much better. I am just trying to work out how to get my medela breast pump working now so that I can express milk to mix the drops in before going to bed, I am doing it by hand at the moment. It's working okay but I though I would try a bottle.
I had used Infacol before this but it made him sick his milk up after 24 hours so I stopped it.
You can buy Colief at the chemist it's 11.99. Free in prescription.
It is amazing.

SilveryMoon Wed 17-Aug-11 14:59:12

I used the Dr Brown bottles for both of my colic-y babies.
We put ds1 on them when he was about 4/6 weeks and went straight to size 2 and then a few weeks later on to the biggest teat I could find.
Ds2 was on them from birth and he was quickly moved onto the bigger teats.
I always judged it that if they started falling asleep during the feed without having the amount they normally would, then they needed a bigger teat.
It does get easier. By 14 weeks at the latest all this will be a distant memory

MeriNisipPoissons Wed 17-Aug-11 15:02:20

I would try size 2 MAM ULTIvent teats as that may improve things even more as some babies can't curl their tongues up enough to get a leak free seal around teats, Avent i have found the most issues with, Dr Brown teats are softer so more squahable.

melissa2712 Tue 03-Feb-15 15:55:09

Hi my baby is 3 weeks old tomorrow i was using the tommee tippee ones but I now changed to Dr brown bottles and I'm just wondering cam you use in facol or anything with the dr brown bottles or not as I wasn't too sure as she has ot so bad pkus she's teething early aswell so it's horrible at the moment

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: