Talk

Advanced search

Aptamil advert on TV...

(23 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Wed 30-Apr-08 14:35:41

I keep seeing this ad on TV. Have had a quick look around and can't see that its already been posted about (feel free to direct me to a thread if it has!)

I am in 2 minds about it. I am not anti formula (ds1 was ff and ds2 mix fed) but i do like the way they are giving proper information on bf

oops Wed 30-Apr-08 14:43:42

Message withdrawn

Poohbah Wed 30-Apr-08 15:08:01

I am anti formula advertising as in RL I have heard mums who bottlefeed tell other mums who breastfeed to give up breastfeeding and when you ask them about what they know about the risks of bottlefeeding they know nothing about the risks but just know that formula has "immunofortis" and extra vitamins and is actually just the same as breastmilk.

Rant over.....sorry that was this morning at the toddler group I go to...

If you want to do something about this go to

www.breastfeedingmanifesto.org.uk/how_you_can_help.php

The government are having a consultation on this topic and need your views by the 5th May 2008 so get e-mailing!!!!

fiodyl Wed 30-Apr-08 15:27:05

Actually the first time I saw that advert I thought it was a pro-breastfeeding campaign or something.
Up until the point where they say when you decide to move on from breastfeding...' then it continued with the usual iplying that their formula is just as good breastmilk- the protective bubble round the bf newborn was still round the ff toddler protected from snezing.

hunkermunker Wed 30-Apr-08 15:30:28

Don't be in two minds about it.

They are being incredibly underhand and using breastfeeding to promote their formula.

It shows breastfeeding, but it shows it to ensure that in the minds of their target audience, Aptamil is aligned with breastfeeding. It's a very sneaky way to brand breastfeeding with the Aptamil logo. Because you start off breastfeeding, but you move to Aptamil when you want to stop. The unspoken there is that it's whenever you want to stop - not at six months. And if it's in the first three minutes, you'll ask for Aptamil - because it's aligned with bmilk, thanks to the advert.

They've got some very clever people doing their ad campaigns - all of them with stones for hearts and big £ signs for eyeballs and no liking for women.

I haven't seen the ad but: 'when you decide to move on from breastfeeding' hmm, it sounds like it is an expectation that you will.

They are capitalising on and reinforcing the fact that there is no expectation in the UK to go from bfing and complementary solids to cow's milk at a year.

Caz10 Wed 30-Apr-08 19:16:13

also - and probably nitpicking - but to me "moving on" implies an improvement, eg you do your gcses and move on to A-levels, you pass your grade 1 piano and move on to grade 2...

MerlinsBeard Wed 30-Apr-08 19:45:59

am angry at them now for getting me

I thought it was a good, balanced advert

it has just proven that in my post natal fog my brain seems to have disappeared!

Nice to 'see' you back Hunker

mum2sons Wed 30-Apr-08 20:04:47

Yuk.
The drippy music would be enough to put anyone off buying their stuffwink. Agree, very very clever marketing. Lots of subliminal messaging.

AbricotsSecs Wed 30-Apr-08 20:11:35

Message withdrawn

sushistar Wed 30-Apr-08 20:14:41

Sorry for my ignorance, but i thought they wern't allowed to advertise formula on ttelly?

Poohbah Wed 30-Apr-08 20:48:42

They can advertise "follow on" milk they are not allowed to advertise formula for babies under 6 months, but really would you know that from the advert? The baby looks under 6 months to me. That's why it is important to actually ban the adverts as they are so stealthy that the Gov/NHS just can't compete with this kind of marketing. They spend £20 on every baby but think how much they get back if a mum decides to formula feed.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 30-Apr-08 20:51:11

That's not the one for "Good Night Milk" is it? <refuses to look at link>

Or is "Good Night Milk" cow and gate???

margoandjerry Wed 30-Apr-08 20:52:15

It's interesting that they say "nothing compares to bm" though. It's a strong statement - not even "breast is best" but stronger.

I wish this has been govt funded though (and without the aptamil bit at the end obviously). It is sad when you think that you never see a tv ad for bf (well, I've never seen one. Has there ever been one?)

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 30-Apr-08 20:53:25

They absolutely should fund b/feeding adverts.

hunkermunker Wed 30-Apr-08 20:53:58

Yes, the NHS ran a short campaign a little while ago. The ad used to be on their site. Hang on.

hunkermunker Wed 30-Apr-08 20:54:19

Here you go

MerlinsBeard Wed 30-Apr-08 20:55:34

no VVVQ, its aptamil saying that nothing compares to BM until 6 months when you can stop bf and use their formula instead

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 30-Apr-08 20:58:00

ah i see.

hunker, log on please smile

RustyBear Wed 30-Apr-08 21:00:34

I was watching this with DD yesterday, & she commented that it was strange that the only time she'd ever seen someone breastfeed on TV was on a babymilk ad.

margoandjerry Wed 30-Apr-08 21:01:29

That's interesting. Never seen that. It's not as aspirational as the aptamil one I suppose. Or the other one aimed at Dads which is really seductive I think (can't remember which company).

sushistar Thu 01-May-08 23:24:19

Just saw this ad again, and they say 'if' not 'when' you decide to move on from breastfeeding... presumably implying some people might not 'move on'...

TBH, I think it's quite progressive - considering its from a formula company!

moomindoo Sun 27-Sep-09 21:54:34

I find this advert extremely offensive. I am a recently new mum for the second time and once again had great trouble breastfeeding. This left me feeling extremely low as i wanted nothing more to give my children the best start and breastfeed them. I went on to suffer severe PND i believe in part due to the stress and upset of not being able to breastfeed my children. As this was happening i see this advert on tv stating that "nothing compares to breastmilk". This only enforced my feelings that i was a failure as a mother and made me feel worse. I personally think this advert should be taken off air.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now