Talk

Advanced search

Milk after 12 months - how much and when?

(12 Posts)
rouge Tue 04-Jan-05 14:16:41

"What to Expect" says 750ml a day; the NHS "Birth to 5" books says 350ml. What do you give? I was thinking a pint - 568ml?

Also I currently give DD a bottle before breakfast, after her lunchtime nap (about 2.30/3), and at bedtime. Should this change? What do you do?

HappyMumOf2 Tue 04-Jan-05 14:42:30

Message withdrawn

rouge Tue 04-Jan-05 20:14:36

Thanks HM - I guess a pint will be OK then.

franch Wed 02-Feb-05 18:03:49

Just found this thread - my 12mo is still having an afternoon bottle (as well as morning and evening) - she loves her milk and cries when each one empties! Should I have cut the afternoon one by now?? She probably has about 600ml a day ..... too much???

Also I'm still doing the bottle thing - should the morning milk be more of a drink with breakfast idea??

janeybops Wed 02-Feb-05 18:06:29

my ds is 15 months and has a healthy appetite. so as well as all of his meals and snacks he has 3 bottles a day too. about 12-16 oz a day probably. not sure as i don't measure it anymore.

his sister though had less, she has much smaller appetite.

vict17 Wed 02-Feb-05 18:09:52

Do they have formula or real milk at this age? My health visitor says to carry on with formula indefinitely

franch Wed 02-Feb-05 18:15:28

Really, vict17? Everything I've read says cow's milk after 12 months. Indefinitely? Are you supposed to have bottomless pockets?!

vict17 Wed 02-Feb-05 18:21:40

That's what I thought Franch, that why I wondered! We use tin of formula over a week and a half at £5.88. Pint of milk at 38p x about 10 days would be £3.80. Quite a bit cheaper then!

pootlepod Wed 02-Feb-05 18:48:32

My 12m old has about a pint a day, 5 oz morning and night (only know because I fill the small avent bottles up to the top) and the rest on cereal. She's not a milk drinker though and has yogurts/cheese etc as well.

jane313 Wed 02-Feb-05 18:53:41

I was told by my hv and read it in the Penelope Leach baby book that there is nothing particularly special about milk so if your child had other dairy products there is no reason to carry on milk if they don't like it. My son continued to have 1-3 cups a day but sometimes they are only 2 or so oz and sometimes we don't bother. He eats cheese, milk with cereal and in food, yoghurt and fromage frais regularly.

It depends on the child, a friend had to go cold turley on milk for her son at about 18 month as he was eating no food. My son does both.

franch Wed 02-Feb-05 19:04:56

Hmm, interesting. Well, DD is definitely a milk lover and would probably drink more than her 3x7oz a day if I let her. She does eat well too though! I just wonder if she should be getting more of her nutrition from food now. I guess if she's having plenty of both I don't need to worry, but the 3 bottles a day thing can't go on forever!

franch Thu 03-Feb-05 14:19:46

bumping for any more thoughts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now