Talk

Advanced search

Tips for moving from bottle to cup?

(13 Posts)
rouge Thu 30-Dec-04 15:01:45

DD (11 months) so far not happy with being offered the cup so have been keeping a teat nearby and swapping over after she's had a few sips and made her feelings crystal clear. Should I just persevere like this in the faith that eventually she'll take to the spout?

Am using Magicup with toddler spout - no valve (see my separate thread on this). Considering going back to soft spout to ease the transition - ??

KateandtheElves Thu 30-Dec-04 15:12:52

Neither of mine were ready for a cup at that age, much as I would have liked to. (In fact, at that age my youngest was just starting to use a bottle to my delight!)

rouge Thu 30-Dec-04 15:18:40

When did you move to a cup then Kate? And how will I know when she's ready?!

KateandtheElves Thu 30-Dec-04 15:20:46

I don't remember exactly, but it was probably about 18 months (and even then we used bottles at naptime and bedtime). I think I just kept trying every few weeks to see if they had got the hang of it yet. (It's amazing how quickly you forget these details...!)

rouge Thu 30-Dec-04 18:47:23

anyone else?

vict17 Thu 30-Dec-04 18:49:43

My ds is nearly 9 months and although he still has 3 bottles of milk a day he drinks water very well out of this It was recommended by mumsnet too

rouge Thu 30-Dec-04 18:52:49

Mm, I've got a couple of Doidy cups but DD has never taken to them and has always created a lot of mess with open cups. She doesn't like to be 'fed' with a cup - prefers to hold it herself. I'm always impressed when I hear of little babies who drink from open cups though!

vict17 Thu 30-Dec-04 18:53:48

Well it has been trial and error and is often very messy!

rouge Thu 30-Dec-04 18:57:26

DD just likes to stick her food-covered fingers into open cups and then fling them around .... Maybe I should've persevered when I first got them but spouty cups have always worked better for her. I think an open cup for milk would just be too big a leap, when I'm already having enough trouble with the cups that she favours for water!

mishiclaus Thu 30-Dec-04 19:19:20

hi rouge#my ds is 14mths and wont take milk from a cup but will take water..he uses the tommee tippee cups...god knows how as i find them hard but it is all he will use...i just generally kept leaving it lying around and various other types and this is the one he will use......next step is to get the milk in one whihc i think will be harder

rouge Fri 31-Dec-04 12:49:38

Hi mishiclaus, DD is fine with her Anywayup cup for water, or the Magicup with valve - just hates it for milk! Not sure whether to keep persevering on a daily basis till she gets the idea (as I did with getting her to drink water in the first place), or whether to try intermittently every week or few weeks .... There's obviously no secret trick to this!

Palmwoods Fri 31-Dec-04 13:24:43

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. This morning I gave my 4 month old an Anywayup cup with some water in it to see what she would do. She put in straight on her mouth and tried sucking but got very frustrated after a few attempts with nothing coming out. I then tried it and realised I coudn't get anything out of it either! Is there a certain technique to using this cup?

LIZS Fri 31-Dec-04 14:01:11

No they are just hard to suck. Neither of mine used them successfully until at elast a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now