Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Boosting immune system when bfeeding

(19 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Wed 29-Dec-04 13:53:31

Message withdrawn

zebra Wed 29-Dec-04 14:25:20

Do you have a generally healthy diet (lots of veg, very little 'junk')?

Yorkiegirl Wed 29-Dec-04 14:42:13

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Wed 29-Dec-04 15:50:00

Message withdrawn

pixiefish Wed 29-Dec-04 15:51:52

well you definetly can't have echinacea- not much use am i yorkie!

i drink a lot of orange juice as the vit c is good- but again i have to balance that with dd's bowels [yuck face]

pixiefish Wed 29-Dec-04 15:52:47

have you asked the doc about it- you may need iron-

eat lots of broccoli and apricot (rich in iron)

Yorkiegirl Wed 29-Dec-04 15:54:24

Message withdrawn

pixiefish Wed 29-Dec-04 15:59:53

probably best if you get another blood test - in the meantime- anyone know any tasty broccoli and apricot dishes?

Yorkiegirl Wed 29-Dec-04 16:04:01

Message withdrawn

zebra Fri 31-Dec-04 18:56:15

Echinacea, I keep forgetting. If you'd like to try it for nothing CAT me & I will send you some from a bottle we don't use. I never remember, but I do try to take zinc whenever I have a cold coz that is proven to have some effect.

In reasonable doses, echinacea is now said to be ok when brfeeding , although whether it really works is debateable (but might not hurt to try?).

aloha Fri 31-Dec-04 19:51:19

I'd take a good multivitamin/mineral supplement with iron. I found that pretty much stopped my post-birth hair loss last time around.

Yorkiegirl Fri 31-Dec-04 20:31:13

Message withdrawn

pixiefish Fri 31-Dec-04 21:07:09

poor yg. hope you can get it sorted and soon.

Yorkiegirl Fri 31-Dec-04 21:40:05

Message withdrawn

pixiefish Fri 31-Dec-04 22:47:26

get that blood tested yg

SmokedSamN Fri 31-Dec-04 23:09:17

Poor pixiefish, it's draining enough having 2 kids without anything else on top of it. Zebra, I'm glad you said that about echinacea as I've been taking it on and off throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding. I know the jar always says not to take it but I was sure I'd read a report saying there had been a trial and it hadn't had any bad effect on pregnant women (not that I can find the report now).

I have been taking Nutri's postnatal tablets which include multivits and minerals and other random stuff said to be good for postnatal and bf mums. Plus whenever there's a cold around I boost my VitC intake by 1000 mg 3 times a day, and Echinacea 800mg 3 times a day. I'm not sure what is actually making the difference but I've been able to avoid all the stuff which dp has caught this autumn/winter. (Usually it's the other way round, I catch everything and he stays right as rain.)

However, having said all that it does sound like you have something more serious going on so maybe a blood test is a good idea?

pixiefish Fri 31-Dec-04 23:19:57

smokedsam- it's yorkie who's ill (not that i mind your sympathy)

SmokedSamN Sat 01-Jan-05 16:26:20

oops should have gone to bed earlier instead of staying on Mumsnet offering sympathy to all and sundry

Yorkiegirl Sat 01-Jan-05 18:37:42

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: