Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mineral water for a bf 6 month old ok?

(18 Posts)
IlanaK Tue 28-Dec-04 20:51:50

We started solids a week or so ago with my 6.5 month old ds2. He was fully bf until then. ANyway, I want to introduce water in a cup now as I remember with my first ds it took months before he would actually drink any. I know I can give cool boiled water, but it would be so much simpler if I could use bottle mineral water as I always have some to hand. DOes anyone know if this is ok?

Thanks

SnowmAngeliz Tue 28-Dec-04 20:53:13

I don't think you're supposed to give mineral water to babies. Infact toddlers under 2 (I Think).
I'm sure someone will know the reason why but no, it's not o.k as far as i know!

popsycal Tue 28-Dec-04 20:54:10

really angeliz?

Gobbledigook Tue 28-Dec-04 20:54:18

I don't think you can give mineral water/bottled water because of the sodium content but you can get bottled water that is low sodium (used it in Majorca for making up feeds when ds2 was 6 months).

I would use cooled boiled water from the kettle myself.

Gobbledigook Tue 28-Dec-04 20:55:12

BTW, not 100% about this but have a vague recollection of someone telling me not to use bottled water.

cupcakes Tue 28-Dec-04 20:55:18

Sorry - I've heard this as well. I would stick to the cooled boiled water I'm afraid.

popsycal Tue 28-Dec-04 20:56:14

i didnt know that
sorry to hijack this thread, but is it really bad for a 2 year old?

Gobbledigook Tue 28-Dec-04 20:57:51

Again, I'm not sure but at 2 I think it'd be OK. If it's the sodium content then wouldn't it be OK after 12 months? You avoid salt in children under 1yr don't you?

emmatmg Tue 28-Dec-04 20:58:18

My Hv gave me a list of bottled water that was ok to use. I had to use it when staying at my mum's when DS2 was a baby.

But I used it to make his milk so I had to boil it anyway.

I used Evian. This is the only one I can remember from the list though.

popsycal Tue 28-Dec-04 20:59:11

hmmm
will look into this - thanks

sorry again for thread hijack!

nailpolish Tue 28-Dec-04 20:59:32

if you want a handy bottle of water, why not sterilise a big bottle of some sort (in the dishwasher?) and fill it up with cooled boiled water. kill 2 birds with 1 stone

omg that sounds a bit like a 'handy' hint in bella mag or something!!!

Gobbledigook Tue 28-Dec-04 21:01:37

LOL nailpolish - it does!! Why don't you put it on 'tip of the day' on here!!!

LIZS Tue 28-Dec-04 21:02:02

I was advised to use it only short term (Evian) such as for holidays and that cooled boiled tap water was better as a regular drink.

nailpolish Tue 28-Dec-04 21:03:14

i think ill just do that. does anyone have the address for bella mag too?

Gobbledigook Tue 28-Dec-04 21:07:43

Bella??? I do not!!!

Good Housekeeping is more up my street! I'm 32 going on 52!! Hee hee!

fisilhohoho Tue 28-Dec-04 21:09:54

We got round the problem of the hassles of cooling boiled water etc. because of ds' fussiness. He wouldn't take water, but loved pear puree. So after I'd cooked a batch of puree I'd freeze the water I'd boiled it in. Then I'd take out one cube and cover it in just boiled water. Shake it up, and you have the perfect baby drink in seconds.

Can I be in Bella too?

SnowmAngeliz Tue 28-Dec-04 21:13:36

\link{http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/bwater.html#3}

probably won't work anyway, (am crap with links) AND don't know how reliable but just found this.
Was curious myself there!

merrykittymas Tue 28-Dec-04 21:20:39

I'm sure you can use Evian, in France it has For babies sign on it (from memory) someone can correct me though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now