Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

milk vs solids for a 9 mo

(8 Posts)
TracyK Mon 27-Dec-04 15:40:10

ds is still hit or miss with the quantity of solids he takes. Sometimes (due to my laziness) I don't think his meals are very nutritional, mainly on the iron front.
If I think he's not had much I'll give him extra milk. If I use formula - that has vitamins/iron etc added. Should that make up for lack of solids?
I know its a vicious circle that the more milk he has -the less solids he'll take. But it's more for the days when we're out and about (or over Xmas away from home) that I think I should offer more milk rather than fill him up on say toast.

lulupop Mon 27-Dec-04 17:36:42

tracyk, if you are giving him the follow-on milk, that has added iron which should make up for any nutritional shortfall on the solids front. My DS loved his solids so I never went to follow-on milk for him, but DD (8 months) is so fussy with solids that I've started follow-on milk (it's also a bit cheaper than the first milk).

it is a vicious circle though, you're right. I find with DD that I have to always do solids first, then milk, or she'd never have any solids at all. If they're poorly, that's one thing, but when they end up drinking 2 pints a day, you know you've got a problem!

TracyK Mon 27-Dec-04 18:27:21

thats what i was hoping.
does that mean i should keep on with the formula rather than cows milk till his diet is better?

colditzcolditzcold Mon 27-Dec-04 19:34:47

If he is only 9mo he shouldn't really be having cows milk as a main drink - or is there a reason for this?

TracyK Mon 27-Dec-04 19:47:05

no - he doesn't - I'm just thinking ahead till when he's a year old.

colditzcolditzcold Mon 27-Dec-04 20:41:52

Ok, sorry. I sounded critical their but didn't mean to, sorry

janeybops Mon 27-Dec-04 21:53:59

At 9 months my ds was having a bf in morning followed by breakfast.

Mid morning snack.

Lunch with water.

mid afternoon bottle of follo on milk and a snack.

tea and water or juice.

before bath a small bottle of follow on

bedtime - another bf

Hope this helps

Socci Mon 27-Dec-04 22:01:50

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: