loader

Talk

Advanced search

gastric flu when breastfeeding

(9 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Sun 19-Dec-04 14:27:31

Message withdrawn

DoesntChristmasDragOn Sun 19-Dec-04 14:33:29

It may well affect your supply but it will come back fairly quickly afterwards. Had this when DS1 was about 6 months old and my supply dwindled but DS1 was fine and the supply recovered quickly. I drank hot water with a teaspoon of sugar in it to keep my energy levels up a bit.

DoesntChristmasDragOn Sun 19-Dec-04 14:33:48

Hope you're better soon!

roisin Sun 19-Dec-04 15:17:23

- Sorry to hear this YG - hope you start to pick up soon. But agree with others here that bf should be OK. When ds1 was about 4 mo old I had the worst d&v bug I have ever had - EXTREMELY, violently ill - but he continued feeding fine.

It's important to keep having small drinks of clear fluids, even if you think it's not staying down long, it will be doing you some good.

Are you at your mum's? Hope someone is looking after you? Are the girls being sick as well?

Poor you!

Clayhead Sun 19-Dec-04 17:21:03

I had simialr in January when ds was 4 months old. It was hell at the time, I had the worst few days of bf whilst wanting to puke, shaking, temp. etc. but everything righted itself shortly afterwards.

Sorry to hear you feel like this.

Yorkiegirl Mon 20-Dec-04 11:18:41

Message withdrawn

californiagirl Mon 20-Dec-04 17:06:30

DD gave me some intestinal virus when she was about 6 months, and my supply definitely dropped for a day while I was having trouble keeping water down, but rebounded almost immediately. I drank as much water as I could and let her nurse as often as she wanted (which was very often when my supply was really low).

Pidge Mon 20-Dec-04 17:16:26

Yorkiegirl - hope you're feeling better - this happened to me when dd was about 8 weeks old. I threw up constantly for a day - thank goodness MIL came to the rescue. I just fed dd in between sleeping and throwing up and it seemed to be fine.

Recommend - staying in bed as long as you can - rest will help your supply. Also fluids as much as you can manage once you can keep something down. Very diluted sweet things, like ribena worked well for me. And some plain cream crackers etc once you start to feel hungry.

If your supply does dip it'll soon recover as feeding gets back to normal.

roisin Tue 21-Dec-04 15:01:06

Hope you're feeling loads better today YG?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now