Talk

Advanced search

Combination feeding- judging how much

(15 Posts)
unclemontyscrumpets Wed 04-Nov-20 20:03:46

Hello, I’m hoping someone could help me!

I have been combination my 6 month old pretty much from the beginning, which has included a ‘top up’ feed after boobs at bedtime. However, perhaps inevitably, the size of the top up has increased over time and we’re now at a point where as far as I can tell baby gets frustrated quite quickly with boobs as she knows a lovely easy bottle is on its way. She’s currently having boobs, with me fighting to get her take as much as possible, plus 6oz- which she empties. It feels ridiculous to give her more than that plus boobs, but should it also feels mad to not get to the point where she tells me she’s full.

Am I better off just dropping boobs from this feed altogether, and finding the right amount of formula that works for her? Surely I can’t overfeed her with this just one feed, right?..

She sleeps pretty well, waking once or twice in the night but at inconsistent times.

OP’s posts: |
rach2713 Wed 04-Nov-20 20:18:51

I have done it 2 times I had to stop with 1 of mine as there was tongue issues that couldn't be fixed. That was around 4 months old she just went straight for the bottle. My second just point blank refused boob at 5 months and wanted bottle. Maybe try her with the bottle at that feed and pump so your body still thinks she's getting it.

unclemontyscrumpets Wed 04-Nov-20 20:31:14

Thanks for your reply.

Would it make any difference if I didn’t pump, though? If I can ensure she’s getting enough to eat I’m ok to stop the boob element for just this feed.

June628 Wed 04-Nov-20 20:46:12

At 6 months it’ll be fine if you don’t pump for one feed before bedtime. Your supply will be pretty established & I know a lot of people that did a bottle before bed & bf fine the rest of the time.

unclemontyscrumpets Wed 04-Nov-20 21:05:43

Thank you!!

unclemontyscrumpets Wed 04-Nov-20 21:06:23

And do you think I should just give her as much formula as she’ll take?..

rach2713 Wed 04-Nov-20 21:57:34

How much oz do you give her just now..

unclemontyscrumpets Thu 05-Nov-20 07:13:11

Now she has boobs plus 6oz. When I’ve not been there she’s had 9oz and no boobs, which she has also finished. Should I just feed her until she doesn’t want any more? I’m going to need bigger bottles!

June628 Thu 05-Nov-20 08:29:15

Are you doing paced feeding OP?

unclemontyscrumpets Thu 05-Nov-20 08:33:59

Paced?
Here’s our timetable:
7am wake, boobs
0930 nap
1000 wake, boobs
1145ish bottle (8oz, drinks all of it)
1230 nap
1430 boobs
1630 nap
1700 one boob (doesn’t take much here)
1815 boobs plus 6oz or 9oz- finishes both

unclemontyscrumpets Thu 05-Nov-20 08:34:24

She’s also started waking up an extra time at night around 12, so I really think she’s still hungry!

June628 Thu 05-Nov-20 09:16:00

Sorry OP, it’s a way you give the bottle, I can’t explain it very well but have a google. It’s to attempt to mimic breastfeeding in that there’s a pause every so often so they can realise they’re full haha my DH describes it a bit like baby torture though but that’s overdramatic I’m sure.
She may well need that much! To be honest I’ve also been amazed when giving a bottle after boob that DD will drink all of it because I’m sure she doesn’t get that volume from the boob! I haven’t found it makes much difference to her sleep at the moment though.
I’m really not an expert I’ve read conflicting things about how much to give them and it’s confusing when they’re also bf I think. When I used to give a bottle because it was a top up I just have a set amount knowing if DD was hungry again she’d wake up for it at night and I’d feed her so it wasn’t a problem. 9 oz seems like a lot though, do they even do bigger volume bottles than that?
You may find it all changes when you progress with weaning onto solids as well.
Anyway I’m sure this hasn’t been helpful at all just really reminded me of my DD. What you’re doing sounds fine! If she takes too much she’ll just spit it back out so I wouldn’t worry!

unclemontyscrumpets Thu 05-Nov-20 09:53:05

Thank you so much- even if you’re not an expert it’s reassuring to have someone who knows what I’m going on about!

9oz is a lot! That’s why I’m confused- I’m literally having to buy bigger bottles. The top was originally 4oz, I guess it does make sense that as she grows she needs more, and prefer to get that extra amount from the bottle rather than the boob.

I’m going to try 9oz tonight, and then tomorrow 10oz (when the massive bottles arrive!) and see how we get on...

I’ll keep you posted, if you like!

June628 Thu 05-Nov-20 16:09:06

Of course! I find my DD (9mo) is often not very interested in feeding before bed sometimes. Almost like it’s too much effort and she’s tired and just wants to go to bed haha

unclemontyscrumpets Fri 06-Nov-20 07:25:11

@June628 1 wake up at 0430 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in