Talk

Advanced search

How to get baby off jars?

(4 Posts)
Becky6X Tue 20-Oct-20 19:59:30

Hi..

My baby has just turned 1 and has always been jar fed (I know a lot of people don't like it and not looking for opinions on it).

He was fine on stage 2 food (7+ months) but never took to stage 3 jars so we kept him on stage 2.

From around 9 months we've had rid of the lunch time jars and he's been having sandwiches for lunch. He loves cheese spread / peanut butter. He loves finger foods such as banana, grapes, cucumber, baby crisps and will happily feed himself these.

Now he's 1 I also want to get rid of the dinner jar but really struggling with it. I've been making him dinners from the ellas kitchen recipe book and mashing them up and spoon feeding him but it's hard to get much into him. Today I mashed part of the meal and gave him the chicken as finger food but again he's hardly eaten. What do you do in this situation? Naturally I want to offer him a jar so I know he's actually eating and not going to bed hungry. But also don't want him to think if he doesn't eat something he can get something else. What if he doesn't actually like the food I'm giving him and not just being fussy? Please help :-(

Would also love to hear what you give your 1 year olds for dinners. I thought mash would be an easy winner but he gags every time x

OP’s posts: |
Kate3150 Tue 20-Oct-20 20:15:46

Is the jar food really smooth? Could you maybe blend the food for him until it’s the same consistency as it is in the jar? X

Mmsnet101 Tue 20-Oct-20 20:24:24

How many teeth has your little one got? That can have a big impact.

Blitz what you have for dinner and then work up to some lumpier bits. Pasta is always a win with babies I know, just plain boiled or mac and cheese etc.

I do lots of boiled veg sticks, Carrots, parsnips, broccoli etc and have that as finger food alongside blitzed meals as my little one prefers a mix of both. Peas and beans as finger foods are always good to keep her entertained too as she picks one by one, between mouthfuls of whatever I'm making her.

It'll be trial and error as he gets used to different things if everything has been similar texture up until now.

TicTacTwo Tue 20-Oct-20 20:46:45

What do you eat for dinner? Can he be given what you eat like some pasta, veggies etc to tackle with his fingers if he's eating sandwiches at lunch?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in