Talk

Advanced search

Trying to get 6 week old to take a bottle

(3 Posts)
Serp Tue 13-Oct-20 13:30:08

Hi, ☺️

I'm looking for some advice and any potions stories of getting a baby to take a bottle after EBF for 6 weeks...

I followed the advice of my health visitor and waited until my baby was 6 weeks before I introduced a bottle expressed milk... however, she will only take an ounce at best from the bottle before becoming distressed, at which point I put her in the breast I've been trying once a day, with the MAM bottles with both room temp, or slightly warmed milk. I've tried, my husband, mum and MiL have all tried too - the most she has taken is 2oz from my Mum. Is it a good sign that my baby will atleast take something from a bottle, and she will eventually get used to it and take a full bottle? Or is this a typical case of baby refusing the bottle? Am I doing the right thing by trying each day? Wishing I would have introduced it earlier now confused

OP’s posts: |
homealldaylong Tue 13-Oct-20 13:42:18

Following- I have a 4 month old who is EBF and trying to get her on expressed milk so I can go have 3 minutes of me time a day grin

Does she take a dummy? My little girl won't take a dummy either and pulls a disgusted face every time a bottle or dummy touches her lips hmm
Are you giving her formula or breast milk in the bottle? Maybe she's just not used to the flavour yet if it's formula?

I managed to get my little girl to take one full bottle and that was just as she woke up in the morning. Picked her up when she was still busy waking up and kept the light off and she had it all- never happened again though 😒

Serp Tue 13-Oct-20 16:21:02

Ahh good luck! She hasn't got a dummy - she's never taken to one either, just screams and spits it out. It's just expressed breast milk I'm trying. I think a lot of it is down to timing isn't it - fingers crossed your little one takes to the bottle soon, that's good news that she has taken a full bottle!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in