Talk

Advanced search

Anyone bf while sufering from raging diarrhoea?

(8 Posts)
frisbyrat Thu 04-Oct-07 17:08:21

A bit embarrassing, but ds is a fortnight old, and I've had some stupid stomach bug thing since yesterday, including high temperature, shaking, dizzy, no appetite and, ahem, the 'world falling out of my bottom' experience. The midwife visited today, and said drink lots (which I was already) and do not eat anything, as it prolongs the diarrhoea. Is this right?
I'd like someone (or better still lots of people wink ) to reassure me that fasting for 48 hours is not going to affect my milk supply. I ridiculously can't sleep for worrying that it's going to dry up.Am I mad?

SharpMolarBear Thu 04-Oct-07 17:10:58

I don't think it will affect your milk supply as long as you can do it as regularly as you usually would.
We had D&V a few weeks back (I only had the V ) and I was told to only starve myself if I felt like it - if I felt up to eating to have something plain. My supply wasn't affected at all.
Poor you - hope it's over quickly.

NineUnlikelyTales Thu 04-Oct-07 17:14:03

It's not very nice but nothing to worry about re your supply. I don't know about not eating anything though - I would eat light food, when you fancy it.

SharpMolarBear Thu 04-Oct-07 17:16:15

Can I just ask - have you been to the doctors about it? Do you knwo it's a bug?

frisbyrat Thu 04-Oct-07 17:53:52

Haven't been to GP's, but can't see what else it could be. Thought maybe mastitis, but no lumps or redness.

spiderbabymum Thu 04-Oct-07 19:27:39

There is absolutely no need to fast when you have diarrhoeaa . in fact You should try to eat if you can .
Sorry but that advice she gave you is not based on any evidence really . The same applies to children when they are ill ..... They should continue to eat a normal diet .

By the way I can sympathise with you.
I had horrendous diarrhoea about a week after getting home from hospital. It only lasted 24 hours ! but was positively explosive with mucus and really bad tummmy cramps . I was really worried about continuing to breast feed.....because i felt I wouldnt be able for it . Luckily it didnt last too long .

So i strongly suggest Dont fast , Drink very frequently, eat according to your appetite . And Easy to say it TRY not to worry . Your body will continue to produce milk. Plenty of hand washing is good just in case its infectious !

Good Luck .

TheOldestCat Thu 04-Oct-07 19:38:45

Sorry to hear this, frisbyrat. I've had the same thing a few times - most recently when DD was six months old. I found eating did start off the symptoms afresh, so - on the GP's advice - fasted for 24 hours (couldn't make 48!).

Each time I had an incident I drank one of those vile rehydration drinks (dioralyte?). It did the trick. After 24 hours, I munched on rice cakes then graduated to toast and soup.

Hope you feel better soon.

Oh and the doctor said you have to be extremely dehydrated for it to affect your milk supply, but obviously drink as much as possible to stop feeling the ill effects of dehydration yourself.

frisbyrat Sat 06-Oct-07 10:21:08

Thank you for all the advice and well wishes! All finally cleared up today, and still seem to be producing some milk, so am off to bf ds... Thanks! Never have dry rice cakes looked so appealing. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: