Talk

Advanced search

How to stop breastfeeding in the daytime?

(2 Posts)
Kty8901 Fri 21-Aug-20 15:09:47

My daughter is almost 7 months and pretty much exclusively breastfed although she has had the occasional bottle of formula and will take a bottle. Id like to keep breastfeeding for a while longer yet however in due to return to work next month and we’re also planning on trying for another baby in the next couple of months..so I’d like to cut out the daytime feeds and just breastfeed morning, night and any middle of the night feeds.

I know the best way is to cut one feed per week but I’m confused about how much formula she’ll need in the daytime to equal the breastfeeds she’s no longer getting? I feed her on demand during the day, little and often but typically feed her to go down for naps and when she wakes up. She probably only has 2-3 proper feeds in the day the rest will be comfort or thirst.

The formula packet days 3 bottles a day for her age ..so would this equate to two daytime bottles plus breastfeeding?

OP’s posts: |
Harrysmummy246 Tue 25-Aug-20 11:56:36

She's still very young and probably not eating a huge amount of solids yet so strategies like don't offer/ don't refuse are probably not appropriate

If you BF on waking, maybe offer a bottle late morning for now, then lunch, then BF in afternoon. Then switch after a week or so for that to be a bottle too.

BF any more than that then gradually offer bottle first rather than BF (baby might decide that's what they actually want for comfort)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in