Talk

Advanced search

Snacky 8-wk-old gaining too slowly - help

(6 Posts)
MotherCourage Tue 02-Oct-07 16:06:25

I'm BFing DD and her snacky ways seem to be turning into a bit of a problem. She doesn't like to get too big a mouthful of boob (no matter how hard I try to get her to open wide, she insists on shifting to a daintier grip as soon as she's latched on) and she insists on feeding for 5 minutes or so before drifting off to sleep. Unsurprisingly, she's not sleeping for very long at a time due to hunger...but when she wakes to feed, she wants to go straight back to sleep as soon as she's managed to take the edge off her appetite.

I'm trying compression to push a little more milk into her, and am trying to keep her awake. The big complication is that DS is just under two and frankly not that sympathetic about my need to sit down and patiently work at keeping his sister nursing for longer stretches.

Any & all advice very, very, VERY gratefully received.

tiktok Tue 02-Oct-07 16:18:15

MC - need more info on her weight, please. Compression is worth doing. What's she like at night?

glaskham Tue 02-Oct-07 16:27:12

can i ask how long her 'snacking' has been going on for, both my children had just 5min feeds whether they went for an hour or 4 between feeds, so she may be going through a growth spurt (common between 6 & 8 wks) so if it has been going on just a few days or a week hang in there and she will go back to 3/4hrly feeds. if it has been since day 1 she needs some dicipline, which sounds harsh but all i mean is dont give in at the first whimper from her, try lieing her down and getting her big brother to help play with toys with her or around her to distract her, if you do this for a few days she should start realising your not giving in and she needs to either have more when she feeds or needs to wait for you...... as for your sons patience while your feeding how about a little dolly for him, and a little bottle? we got my son a baby dolly (he was a very well advanced) and he used to sit with me and pretend to feed his baby too (not using a bottle though as we'd not thought of that so he pulled his top up!!!)

MotherCourage Tue 02-Oct-07 16:36:52

She was 7lb 2oz at birth, dropped to 6lb 15oz and today weighed in at 8lb 14oz. She's just passed the eight week mark and her percentile has dropped from 25th to around 5th.

Nappies are very wet and poos are mustardy and around twice a week, so things seem to be working well on the other end. Her sleep sessions are getting shorter though rather than longer, especially at night, which makes me think she's just not taking in enough at a feed to last her up to 3 hours. Last night she was looking to feed every 90 minutes or so, which was pretty tiring.

tiktok Tue 02-Oct-07 17:30:19

MotherCourage, I don't think there is a problem with supply, then, sorry....not from what you say. I can see it is demanding and tiring, esp with another little one, but there is no imperative, biological or nutritional, for babies to last three hours between feeds.....plenty of babies don't 'last' this long, and actually, there are plenty of adults who might think 3 hours would be a long time without anything going into their gobs, food or drink

Some mothers find it is easier to have the baby in a sling and just go with the flow, learning to feed as and when the baby wants....there is nothing perculiar or wrong or unhealtjy about short, frequent feeds

MotherCourage Tue 02-Oct-07 18:03:54

I take your point tiktok, and if she'd not dropped quite so far on the percentile chart by today's weigh-in I would have just shrugged and hoped she'd settle a bit more between feeds a bit later on. It's the plunge on the weight chart that concerns me in combination with the short, frequent feeds. (She's gone from 25th at birth, to 15th at four weeks, to 5th at 8 weeks.) I'm wondering if it means she's not getting as much hindmilk as she ought to.

I do have a sling and have tried to wear her around, but she's a little touchy about it. For some reason it either makes her sleep deeply or shriek with rage. She's not keen on swaddling, which (along with the slow weight gain) makes her the complete opposite of my DS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now