Talk

Advanced search

Can't believe SCBU asked me if they can give Callum a bottle.....

(32 Posts)
sparklygothkat Tue 02-Oct-07 13:14:23

when I am not there. He is rooting a lot, and she said that the doctor had asked if they can give him a bottle when I am not there. I said no way, as I want to fully breastfeed, they can give him a cup or a feed down his tube, but no bottles. AIBU??

Piffle Tue 02-Oct-07 13:14:48

nope

MamaGotaDyson Tue 02-Oct-07 13:15:50

YANBUat ALL

Flower3554 Tue 02-Oct-07 13:16:16

nope, your baby, your choice. Love the name btwsmile

LilBloodRedWantsGore Tue 02-Oct-07 13:16:17

Not at all unreasonable! Congratulations BTW!

sparklygothkat Tue 02-Oct-07 13:17:30

can't believe they asked tbh, he has only just learnt to latch on, and started feeding today, he doesn't need to be confused with a bottle

flowerybeanbag Tue 02-Oct-07 13:18:55

Maybe I'm missing something but weren't they just asking the question? Is that not ok?

sparklygothkat Tue 02-Oct-07 13:19:54

they know I want to breastfeed, and a bottle will confuse him atm

RubyRioja Tue 02-Oct-07 13:20:11

Sounds like he is coming on! I guess the good thing is that they did ask, rather than takeit upon themselves. Do you have a sign on his crib saying no bottles or formula? Or do they not make those mistakes anymore?

flowerybeanbag Tue 02-Oct-07 13:21:01

Oh ok, well yes if they knew you were going to be breastfeeding then absolutely fair enough YANBU!

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 02-Oct-07 13:21:53

No - you arent being unreasonable smile

He is your son. Excellent news re his rooting.

sparklygothkat Tue 02-Oct-07 13:22:10

he has formula when my breastmilk runs out in the fridge, but am managing to express enough to cover his feeds.

lilibet Tue 02-Oct-07 13:23:02

So glad he is coming on SKG, any news about when you can take him home?

sparklygothkat Tue 02-Oct-07 13:23:35

she actually asked me while I was breastfeeding him today hmm he managed a 10 minute feed today, he latched straight on and fed. Am so proud!!

sparklygothkat Tue 02-Oct-07 13:29:12

TBH I have given up asking when he will be home, I keep getting told different things, the doctor we saw today said he is doing very well and we just need to get the feeding sorted. But we have been told that he can come home with a tube as we have taken our girls home with a tube before. The nurse did go through a discharge list with me last night, but not sure if it was to save time when he is actually discharged or if its because he will be home soon.

determination Tue 02-Oct-07 13:34:28

ITA, definately not unreasonable. Better safe than sorry IMHO.

nailpolish Tue 02-Oct-07 13:36:14

they were only asking
they are not mindreaders
congratulations btw smile

sparklygothkat Tue 02-Oct-07 13:37:02

I know they were only asking, but they all know I want to breastfeed.

funnypeculiar Tue 02-Oct-07 13:37:33

YANBU
And well done Callum for his 10 min bf smile

nailpolish Tue 02-Oct-07 13:37:39

its ok to ask though smile

sparklygothkat Tue 02-Oct-07 13:39:40

I suppose I should be grateful that they didn;t just do it. After Dd1 was given a blood tranfusion without our knowledge or concent (sp) while in SCBU, I get a bit panicky.

andiem Tue 02-Oct-07 15:28:21

tbh they shouldn't ask if they are following the unicef baby friendly guidelines which all maternity/neonatal units are supposed to be working towards.They should know not to give a bottle to an infant like yours. YANBU Good on you for saying no and I am glad he is doing so well

ScaryMonsterStories Tue 02-Oct-07 19:05:21

SGK one of the nightshift nurses actually gave DTD2 a bottle during the night when DTDs were in SCBU. I had managed to exclusively provide EBM for 2 babies and they just thought it wold be nice to give her a bottle angry. At this point they hadn't even offered to let her try he breast so the first thing she had in her mouth (apart from tubes) was a rubber teat angry

ScaryMonsterStories Tue 02-Oct-07 19:12:02

Oh and to clarify I had been exclusively EBMing for over 2m at this point.

And even if I had wanted her to have a bottle it should have been me or DP to give her first bottle. Not some strange nurse in the middle of the night.

Sterny Tue 02-Oct-07 19:13:35

Arrggh this makes me mad. I was asked so many times when my ds was in scbu if they could give him formula/bottles/a dummy. They also mixed my ebm up in the fridge with another lady who had a similar surname.

Hsve you been on the bliss website - they have an excellent messageboard for anyone who has/has had a baby in NICU/SCBU will try to do a link - the address is www.blissmessageboard.org.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now