Talk

Advanced search

Crying after breast feeding - overfeeding?

(8 Posts)
becsta1 Mon 01-Oct-07 12:14:01

My 10 wk old has started crying after I feed him. He's also bringing up more milk than he used to so I wonder if I'm overfeeding him. I've tried taking him off my breast when his tummy feels full but he gets upset and wants more and then he brings some of it up.

HELP.

tiktok Mon 01-Oct-07 12:16:41

Becsta, trying to guage when his tummy is full is an impossible task When does he start to cry? Bringing milk up can be totally normal.

becsta1 Mon 01-Oct-07 12:22:57

He starts when I take him off. It's as though he's saying he's not ready to finish yet, but then if I keep him on he brings some up and cries then too.

MrsBadger Mon 01-Oct-07 12:28:12

dd (6wks) has done this a couple of times - I think she was finished eating and trying to suck for comfort, but got overenthusiastic and ended up with more milk she didn't really want.

more likely wind though - have you tried winding him, waiting for the burp, then putting him back on?

becsta1 Mon 01-Oct-07 12:31:22

I used to be able to do that no problem but this has really only started is the last wekk or so. Taking him off even to burp him upsets him.

tiktok Mon 01-Oct-07 12:35:24

OK - all this sounds normal, to be honest

It will pass.

He may take a little more than he needs from time to time, and bring it back up, and that may bother him,.

If you avoid taking him off, he will get to be able to stay on and just take what he wants by doing fewer, shallower sucks.

becsta1 Mon 01-Oct-07 13:49:40

How do you know if you're overfeeding?

tiktok Mon 01-Oct-07 14:04:30

You don't - and it doesn't matter. A breastfed baby may well 'overfeed' from time to time, but just brings the excess up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now