Talk

Advanced search

do i really have to offer a bottle from time to time?

(28 Posts)
Tutter Sun 30-Sep-07 15:40:47

people keep nagging me to

ds2 is 10 weeks old

sherbert Sun 30-Sep-07 15:44:50

I am sure there are many people on here will say you dont have too. But I would worry how DB wold be fed if you were able to BF i.e if you got sick, hospitalised,had an emergency to deal with.

LIZS Sun 30-Sep-07 15:45:18

no, why ?

BeetrootMNRoyalty Sun 30-Sep-07 15:56:01

a bottle to whom?

NotADragonOfSoup Sun 30-Sep-07 16:01:02

Sherbert, that's the kind of thing you worry about if it happens! Do bottle fed mothers worry how they'll feed their baby should formula milk disappear? hmm

BeetrootMNRoyalty Sun 30-Sep-07 16:07:12

Tutter - you don't

just feed and relax and ignore.

juuule Sun 30-Sep-07 16:08:26

No you don't, Tutter. Ignore the naggers.

Flamesparrow Sun 30-Sep-07 16:10:16

Nah, he'll be fine.

If something terrible happened they would get fluid in him some how.

How's it going now?

Mommalove Sun 30-Sep-07 16:19:03

Message withdrawn

edam Sun 30-Sep-07 16:27:23

I think, sadly, that advice shows that many people don't properly understand that b/f is normal. It's as if bottle feeding is the baseline, b/f is something a bit odd and you have to be prepared in case something goes wrong and you have to revert.

Ignore, ignore, ignore. If you do want to go to bottles at any stage, you'll work it out.

canmummy Sun 30-Sep-07 16:32:40

It's up to you. Dd1 never took a bottle, even when I left her at nursery all day aged 9 months. I was more stressed than she was, though and found it really hard that she'd only have milk from me.

Dd2 I used to give a regular bottle to, but eventually it became obvious that she preferred the bottle to me. Really didn't want that to have happened but didn't want to go through all that stress again.

So I gave my dd3 at least 1 bottle of ebm a week from about 8 weeks just to keep her used to it and I can now happily leave her for a whole day leaving me much more relaxed!

And I am an unlucky person, was hospitalised for 24 hours when dd2 was 4 weeks old (a couple of days after trying her with a bottle for the 1st time). Was also hospitalised when dd3 was 7 months old for 2 nights and made it so much easier for us - glad I'd done it before it was a problem.

Make whatever decision is best for you and your baby - nobody else's business but yours. If you don't want to don't let them bully you!

Tutter Sun 30-Sep-07 16:36:42

yep the only reason i can think of doing it is to cover off the emergency me-going-into-hospital situation

<touches wood> i'm not planning on doing so

and am not planning to be away from ds2 while i'm bfing

and i hate expressing with a passion (that's the hating bit that's with a passion)

good, am reassured that i can continue to ignore

tra-laaa

canmummy - i'm hoping i have better luck than you, poor thing

Tutter Sun 30-Sep-07 16:45:22

all good thanks flamesparrow

ds2 gorgeous and feeds well - very well in fact - has gone from 25th to 98th centile shock

Tipex Sun 30-Sep-07 16:57:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flamesparrow Sun 30-Sep-07 17:00:24

grin

andiem Sun 30-Sep-07 17:28:57

tutter I didn't with ds1 and he took a cup at 4mths and never had a bottle am planning to do the same with ds2 but leaving the cup till 6mths as that is now the recommended time for weaning
going from breast to cup certainly meant we didn't have to wean them off a bottle and ds1 self weaned from bf at 11mths sad

Elasticwoman Sun 30-Sep-07 21:28:28

I had 3 babies and have never used a bottle or an ounce of formula. And yes, I did go back to work, but not very soon after birth.
Also yes, I did have a social life too - much sooner than I went back to work.

fondant4000 Sun 30-Sep-07 21:35:22

I've never heard of such a thing! No point in trying to 'prepare' for a hypothetical situation as you can't recreate the actual circumstances. My dd hated bottles etc. but when I had to go back to work when she was 6 months old she happily had a beaker in the day and bf when I was there.

I think she wd have been utterly bemused as to why I wd try and feed her with a bottle when I've got a perfectly good pair of t*ts!

Jas Sun 30-Sep-07 21:36:08

None of my three ever had a bottle.
I have a friend who was hospitalised suddenly and unable to bf when her ds was 8 weeks. He didn't starve.

sherbert Mon 01-Oct-07 13:21:09

hey, thats just my view. But as we all know alternative views are no longer accepted on MN. Ho hum.

mamadoc Mon 01-Oct-07 13:36:29

I get this nagging a lot too mainly from my mum. DD is 22 weeks never had formula, took a bottle about twice after I gave in to the nagging. I also hate expressing and it was horribly stressful getting her to have that bottle and for what? Shopping- just feed whilst out, evenings out- she's slept 7-4 since about 3/4 months so we've been for dinner out, cinema while she's asleep. I've even been into work just fed her before and after. Not going back til 9 months so I figure she can go straight to a cup. I'm afraid the nagging people are probably thinking of themselves. Why do people feel you need to feed a baby to bond with it? Dh doesn't feel that way at all. He didn't find the one bottle especially magical much prefers playing and cuddling.

harpsichordcarrier Mon 01-Oct-07 13:40:19

Nope, you don't.
dd1 had one bottle of EBM once when I was distracting her with a tree hmm I kept stressing I should give her a bottle and she didn't want to and it was just a PITA because in about half an hour she was big enough to drink from a cup and then she could have solids and she has never had a bottle!
dd2 I ditched the whole idea, much less stress.
even if you give a baby a bottle today, there is nothing to say she will take it next week. babies are like that. capricious little creatures

tiktok Mon 01-Oct-07 13:42:58

Oh for goodness sake, sherbert....your view is here, isn't it? In what sense is it not 'allowed"?

This is a talk board. People talk and discuss. They put different views, they debate, they put the opposite view to each other. To post your view, and then take the huff when people disagree with it, and explain why, is just daft.

If you don't want people to discuss and debate, and you don't want to hear their reaction to your views, then, um.....don't post! ?!

tiktok Mon 01-Oct-07 13:44:19

Sorry, 'not accepted' , not 'not allowed'.

My point remains, though.

beanstalk Mon 01-Oct-07 13:45:04

Personally I agree with sherbert, only as I had that very situation and DD refused a bottle altogether until 7 months. I had to live with a retained placenta for 7 months as couldn't go into hospital and have a general anaesthetic whilst breastfeeding and had no alternative way to feed DD for 24hrs. BUT do whatever YOU feel is right for you and ignore whatever anyone else says (including me if you want to grin) There is no 'correct' way, just what is right for you and your child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: