Talk

Advanced search

Is DS ready to give up BF?

(5 Posts)
Asiama Tue 30-Jun-20 23:55:14

DS is 19 months. I BF twice a day, before bed and first thing in the morning. BF has become challenging and I wonder if it is a sign that he doesn't want it anymore. Each feed lasts only 10 mins and he will fidget, get distracted and have to relatch, tried to stand on my lap etc. I was hoping to feed him until he's at least 2. Is this a sign that he doesn't want it anymore?

OP’s posts: |
Harrysmummy246 Thu 02-Jul-20 17:05:33

our feeds only ever lasted 10 minutes but did get increasingly faffy as he got older.

If you don't offer, does he still want to?

Shmithecat2 Thu 02-Jul-20 17:11:59

Its what they do at that age. Gym-nurse-tics. Massively annoying. But it doesn't mean he's ready to stop. As above, don't offer anymore, just wait until he asks.

Asiama Fri 03-Jul-20 15:06:12

Thank you both! He doesn't speak yet so he doesn't ask as such, but in the mornings he is upset and calms down when I BF so I take that as a sign that he wants it. At bedtime the signs aren't as clear but if I didn't put him on, he would take longer to fall asleep and be more upset.

If I am feeding while lying in bed, he stands up and walks around as much as he can, while still feeding bent over!

OP’s posts: |
Shmithecat2 Fri 03-Jul-20 17:18:07

It sounds totally normal OP. Their little minds are everywhere so even when their feeding they're wanting to do everything else at once. My ds did the same, but he didn't wean until he was nearly 4yo (at my insistence)!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in