Talk

Advanced search

Breast Pump - electric or manual recommendations please

(9 Posts)
empen Tue 25-Sep-07 16:46:47

I really want to try breast feeding with my second baby. Only managed it with my first for 2 weeks but was very painful, messy and generally not a good experience. I am determined that it is going to be different this time and am going to make it work.
I am not overly comfortable with the baby being on breast and would prefer the option of bottle feeding him breast milk (also DP can help!)
All the reviews I have read have said that electric pumps are better, less painful and easier but I really wanted some real life recommendations.
Was planning to use Tommee Tippee bottles.

kiskidee Tue 25-Sep-07 16:51:47

if you are determined to make it work, have you thought of getting in contact with a bf support group antenatally so that you have a support system before your baby is born? this way, you can also become more comfortable with breastfeeding and how it works which may be more vital than to find which pump works best.

to pump a lot is hard work. I am not anti-pump. I expressed at work for 14 months for dd so I know that it can be another task in an already busy day.

BTW, i used an Ameda Lactaline and heartily recommend it for many reasons.

StealthPolarBear Tue 25-Sep-07 16:57:14

I do recomment the avent manual one and don't recommend the Boots own electric one

gegs73 Tue 25-Sep-07 16:57:37

I had an Isis manual breast pump which was brilliant but I know different pumps work for different women.

sarahgg Tue 25-Sep-07 17:04:46

Just wanted to share my experience with you. BFing DD1 was traumatic to say the least so expressed exclusively for eight weeks. DD2 came along and I presumed I would have same problems, so thought I would just FF, so I would not get PND again. Couldn't be more wrong. DD2 fed immediately and it was so easy, different baby different Mum (more experienced). Try not to pre-judge your next experience, you may suprise yourself smile

LizaRose Tue 25-Sep-07 17:04:49

I used this one and would highly recommend. I hired one from the NCT initially before buying.

FioFio Tue 25-Sep-07 17:05:53

Message withdrawn

sarahgg Tue 25-Sep-07 17:07:37

I can second the Medela. Used to enjoy sitting reading magazine while machine did all the work! Mind you, I couldn't express at all with DD2, wierd.

cazee Tue 25-Sep-07 19:15:43

My sister in law gave me her electric Meleda pump and I HATED it, so noisy. I used my old mothercare one for a while, until it broke, and then got the Avante manual pump, which is brilliant. I liked to express while dd was feeding, so I needed a quiet, efficient pump, and it really was. 0-4oz in 5 mins!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now