Talk

Advanced search

exclusively BFing and noticed loss of sensation on breasts....is this normal?

(15 Posts)
daisyandbabybootoo Thu 20-Sep-07 12:37:00

i just noticed last night that i can pinch the skin on my breast between my fingernails very very hard and it doesn't hurt. I noticed it as I've had mastitis and where the blockage was is very itchy, but it felt numb when i scratched.

There are areas of my breasts where there is very little or no sensation at all and the unaffected breast is the same. It feels like the same sort of nerve ending damage where my c-section scar is.

Is this normal? I though it might be due to tempoary nerve damage due to repeated compression from engorgement.

<daisy has visions of BF mums everywhere pinching themselves to check if they are the same>

belgo Thu 20-Sep-07 12:38:34

I've never heard of that.

Jacanne Thu 20-Sep-07 12:45:59

My nipples tend lose all sensation when I'm BF (comes back when I'm pregnant or ovulating though) but every where else feels fine.

I have the C-section nerve ending damage though so I know what you mean.

daisyandbabybootoo Thu 20-Sep-07 13:25:21

i wish my nipples had lost sensation...they are mostly over sensitive, even after feeding for 15 weeks!

bumperlicious Thu 20-Sep-07 13:41:21

No idea daisy but bumping for you

daisyandbabybootoo Thu 20-Sep-07 13:43:42

Any more of this bumping each others boob problems love and we'll need to get some Berlei shock absorber bras grin

loonylovegood Thu 20-Sep-07 14:34:52

I am the same daisy! Thought it was just me! If I pinch a little bit of skin it doesn't hurt. Do you have stretchmarks on your boobs? I do and I think that's why I don't feel it. Stretchmarks are scars, so it'll be the same as your cs scar.

daisyandbabybootoo Thu 20-Sep-07 14:49:35

I do have some stretchmarks but from last time, not DD.

sarahgg Thu 20-Sep-07 14:53:06

I am exactly the same after feeding for a year, a year later and I have got most of the feeling back. Isn't it amazing just what you DONT see in pregnancy and baby books, they never seem to include anything about what can happen to your body post baby.

riabutterflew Thu 20-Sep-07 15:12:19

I can feel "pressing sensations" but no pain. I get stabbing/prickly pains inside my boobs though.

Maybe mine have outgrown my nerve-endings?grin

daisyandbabybootoo Thu 20-Sep-07 19:33:27

LOL Ria grin

bookthief Thu 20-Sep-07 22:19:04

Yep, I'm the same. I didn't notice it before now!

I actually had a very weird experience at the absolute worst part of my bf problems in the early days. I was feeding ds from my nightmare right side and for the first time we had a completely pain-free feed. But not just pain free: completely sensation free. I couldn't feel anything! It was really unnerving and I was convinced that he could just bite the nipple off and I wouldn't feel it. I hated it and thankfully it never happened again.

I also have some loss of sensation in the skin below my belly button (natural delivery) so it could well be stretchmarks.

funnypeculiar Thu 20-Sep-07 22:22:56

I had a bit of this - not loss of sensation, just became less sensitive (not for first few weeks, mind you smile) Assumed it was natures way of making me less likely to run squealing when i got bitten smile

determination Thu 20-Sep-07 22:24:50

sorry daisy,

i have never experienced it and i have had mastitis 6 times now - i was nearly awarded a mastitis guru badge! wink

Sounds quite strange... How are you apart from that?

daisyandbabybootoo Thu 20-Sep-07 22:34:47

hi determination....thanks for asking smile; apart from odd sensationless boobs, we're doing much better. The mastitis has pretty much cleared up and most feeds she latches on well. The clicking and slurping ian't as bad either so I think we may have turned the corner. MIL was quizzing me about bottles and weaning today so I just smiled vacantly and changed the subject (she thinks that if I don't put her on bottles so that she can babysit then the baby will be all strange and not know them hmm)

bookthief, on the very odd occasion when I've had a sensation free feed I have to check to make sure she actually still has the nipple in her mouth. It is very strange indeed, as usually I get some sort of feeling.

It's good to know I'm not alone in this so will chalk it up to "one of those things"

thanks for your responses smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: