Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Car seats in taxis?...

(24 Posts)
Madigan Mon 17-Sep-07 11:47:09

I don't know what section of MN I should be posting this on ... please let me know!!!

anyway - what I wanted to know was: do you have to use a car seat in a taxi (as in London black cab) - or do you just put the whole pram in the taxi?

If you do use a car seat - do you just use the seat belt to secure the car seat? Am a bit confused about all this ... I have a Maxicosi car seat, which I use with an isofix base in my car: don't understand how to use it in other cars, which do not have a base.

Thanks xx

preggersagain Mon 17-Sep-07 11:50:33

i cannot believe the retailer did not show you how to fit it without the base! you need to learn!!

It is not a legal req to use a car seat in a taxi however it is advisable especially if you are safety concious!

Nip Mon 17-Sep-07 11:52:19

i didnt realise that it wasnt a legal requirement to have a car seat in a taxi preggersagain. I assumed the law was enforced in all vehicles in the UK?

alycat Mon 17-Sep-07 12:02:50

No Taxis are exempt. Drives me bananas, most taxis outside of London are just ordinary cars, surely just a dangerous.

When I use a black cab I just leave Lo in buggy/pram and park the whole thing in there - as usually I'm on my own just got off train, so car seat not an option.

Madigan Mon 17-Sep-07 12:09:18

is it safe to put the whole pram into the taxi?
otherwise, I suppose I could use the car seat (using seat belt) and then slot it into the pram base .... ??

ok - so I was not shown how to use car seat with just a seat belt ... is is complicated? will try to track down the instruction manual now.

TerryStealthPolarBear Mon 17-Sep-07 12:20:26

I have the instruction manual so if you can't find it let me know and I can photocopy you the page and send it, or scan it.
This is something I've been meaning to learn for ages for emergencies.

MrsBadger Mon 17-Sep-07 12:23:33

put the whole pram in a black cab, with baby facing away from direction of travel.

the maxi cosi cabrio has helpful pictures on the side of the seat itself showing how to use it with a seatbelt, but I guess you've found the manual in the storage compartment on the back pof the seat.

preggersagain Mon 17-Sep-07 12:23:56

you SHOULD have been shown- shoddy service imo (unless you bought it online in which case retailer not at fault but you should have made sure you found out)

It is a legal requirement to be able to fit your car seat YOURSELF (driver) using a three-point lap belt, i do safety checks for the police and i always get the seats out of the car to check the safety regs and then ask parents to strap it back in regardless of whether they use a base!

Madigan Mon 17-Sep-07 12:27:07

oh god - now I feel dreadful ....

TerryStealthPolarBear Mon 17-Sep-07 12:36:03

preggersagain - why?
If you use it with a base surely you only have to know how to do that?
If I was transferring the car seat to any other car, I would transfer the base as well.

mustsleep Mon 17-Sep-07 12:41:48

imo taxis should have a carseat or booster seat fitted or when you call your taxi they should ask if you require a car seat

we don't live in london so it's v rare that we get a black ca where you can leave your pushchair up and they are just normal cars and the drivers drive like lunatics no matter what you say to them (and i have called up the companies and complained regularly)

but once your lo gets out of the travel system carseat stage it's v hard to carry a carseat around in case you need to get a taxi

preggersagain Mon 17-Sep-07 12:44:36

did you buy it locally or online? if you bought it from a shop go back and ask them to show you! Seriously!!!!

NineUnlikelyTales Mon 17-Sep-07 12:45:15

Sometimes the base won't fit into a car but the seat will. Like DS carseat, which fits into my mum's car without the base but not a chance with. It's a PITA.

Madigan Mon 17-Sep-07 12:45:50

I am thinking about the situation where I jusy hail a cab on the street, rather than when I phone for one in advance ...

I am going to make it my mission today to learn how to fix the car seat using a seat belt, and then I will do that when I use a cab - seems like the safest option.

Is if ok for a 4 wk old baby to sit in a car seat (if it is attached to a pram base) for say 2 hours? or is there a time limit for how long they should be in a car seat for?

preggersagain Mon 17-Sep-07 12:46:13

no- a car seat has to have the ability to be fitted without a base- ie if the police need to transport you/ breakdown service etc etc! and it is the legal responsibitlity of the driver to ensure that they are aware of how that is done!

Madigan Mon 17-Sep-07 12:46:43

Preggersagain, I am not going to have the opportunity to visit the place I bought the car seat from, so I am going to have to work it out myself.

MrsBadger Mon 17-Sep-07 12:50:21

hmm
if the police are transporting me surely they are the driver and have legal responsibility...

A couple of hours in the carseat is ok, but not all day every day

jambomum Mon 17-Sep-07 13:05:10

In black taxis the belt that secures a wheelchair will secure the buggy. I did this the other day and although you have to be careful going round tight corners it was fine.
As for minicabs - they are not obliged to provide child seats, but if you use a half decent local firm, they might bring yours back to their office and keep it for you until you can pick it up. I regularly do that with my local firm that take us to the airport etc.

The seatbelt around the maxicosi is not hard, once you've tried to do it a couple of times, I'm sure you'll get it right.

preggersagain Mon 17-Sep-07 13:08:33

yes Mrs B BUT you were the driver before they dragged you away in the back of a police car so you should know how to do it iyswim!!

Its just a loophole in the law- ie if a car seat is fitted wrongly the police can take action (but ensuring the seat is correctly fitted etc), however if a base is fitted incorrectly it is not something which the car seat laws covers so the police cannot touch it unless the driver consents!

Stupid really that the car seat laws are so new but do not cover something which most manufacturers are bringing out as a standard bit of kit!

TerryStealthPolarBear Mon 17-Sep-07 13:11:58

I see - that's weird

Loopymumsy Mon 17-Sep-07 14:13:41

Message withdrawn

mustsleep Tue 18-Sep-07 10:44:38

ds is five now and i got him a travel system and he was in the car seat in that from being a newborn until he was six months for loads longer than that nearly every other day - but then they didnlt have all the warnings about it then

had the same sort of thing with dd also as had a quinny zapp and never had any probs with iether of them but would get one of those new carseats that lie flat if i had another

kekouan Tue 18-Sep-07 11:35:34

The sales rep in Mothercare told me that newborns shouldn't be allowed to sit in a carseat for more than 2 hours a day... Not sure if this was an actual guideline, or if she was trying to flog me the carrycot though

hmm

preggersagain Tue 18-Sep-07 11:38:45

it is a guideline- fsids recommendation due to the newborns head flopping forward making breathing more difficult and also the hunched up spine thing! All in all not good to have them in a car seat for too long grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now