Talk

Advanced search

I think I'm done with breastfeeding

(4 Posts)
Pippinsqueak Thu 16-Apr-20 10:11:10

Just that really, I've been doing it on demand for 15 months day and night. I'm really surprised by my decision.

I've spoken to hv etc who just say put her on cows milk and tell her no to boob every other time. Not helpful and feels like standard reading from a book.

Is there anyway I can reduce my supply so she's not interested? She's proper boob obsessed, will drink water, weak squash but not keen on cows milk at the moment.

I find that she ll take a little from a bottle with a straw then leave it. She has plenty of cheese, yogurt and has milk in cereal/porridge in the mornings and obviously boob.

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Apr-20 10:29:10

I really wouldn't worry about her not drinking milk while you are still BFing. Both of mine had a clear 2 week gap between the final BF and accepting Cow's milk as a drink.

I think I'd cut down on the night feeds first, before you tackle the day. This night weaning method is very gentle.

Once you've tackled the nights I'd start on the day. Doing things like only feeding in one chair, then never sitting there, wearing inaccessible clothes and distracting with a nice snack and drink might work. Have you tried her with a little bit chocolate?

homeschoolchaos Thu 16-Apr-20 10:37:05

My experience was basically the complete opposite to @JiltedJohnsJulie but I completely cut out daytime feeds at about this age - just offered food/drink instead, and kept night feeds. After a while I stopped the bedtime feed (there was protest at this). I kept night feeds going for quite some time because they were quick and easier than getting out of bed. Hope you find a solution that works for you!

Pippinsqueak Thu 16-Apr-20 10:42:18

Thank you for your replies

We've cut the feeding to sleep for the last two weeks but she's breaking molars through so has been wanting comfort feeds all day. I'm going back to work on Monday as I'm a key worker four days a week so I am hoping that it will teach her to cut it out.

I've loved breastfeeding but if my husband gets her up and let's me sleep for an hour in the morning and I come downstairs, she's excited to see me but starts tearing at my boobs which makes me feel down

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in