Talk

Advanced search

Stopping sterilising

(10 Posts)
ImBarryScott Wed 12-Sep-07 15:06:08

DD is 6 months and we've been weaning for a couple of weeks. It occurred to me as I was giving her lunch that (obviously!) I hadn't sterilised her lunch stuff, but I've still been sterilising her bottles. Is there any reason to sterilising?

Mumpbump Wed 12-Sep-07 15:10:20

I never did. The bottle teats are very difficult to clean properly and I think that's probably why you carry on sterilising bottles. But plates/cutlery can be washed very easily in hot soapy water...

AneurinBadger Wed 12-Sep-07 15:10:32

nope
no need to do bowls, spoons etc
in fact no need to do bottles if you have a dishwasher

ImBarryScott Wed 12-Sep-07 15:12:09

sorry - meant is there any reason to keep sterilising the bottles!

I'm neurotic, but not that neurotic!

Jojay Wed 12-Sep-07 15:13:27

I think the official advice is to continue sterilizing bottles until they are one.

My ds is 9 mths and i'm too scared to stop!!

Olihan Wed 12-Sep-07 15:13:38

Nope, as long as you wash in very hot, soapy water and leave it all to air dry on kitchen towel then it's absolutely fine. Or pop them through a cycle in the dishwasher.

Olihan Wed 12-Sep-07 15:16:15

Have a read of this old thread. OP is the only bit you really need to read as it's long!

sarahlou1uk Wed 12-Sep-07 15:22:49

I stopped sterilising at 6 months with both of mine and just use hot soapy water, bottle brush and give a good rinse afterwards. Dinner plates etc get put in with the rest of the family's.

ImBarryScott Wed 12-Sep-07 15:36:48

Thanks everyone

<<disappears to write "steriliser for sale" thread>>

RTKangaMummy Wed 12-Sep-07 16:01:45

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now