Talk

Advanced search

Help 11 week old having tiny feeds every hour in the day

(13 Posts)
charliemama Wed 12-Sep-07 13:07:37

I would really like some encouragement. I have 3 children under 5 and I am trying to perservere with bf my third. However, he has taken to being quite fractiuos in the day and wanting little feeds about every hour. I was hoping that soon things would start getting a little easier soon. I am worried that this is getting him into bad habits. The good thing is he only feeds once in the night at about 2.30am after a last suck at about 7/7.30pm.

jabuti Wed 12-Sep-07 13:11:00

the famous cluster feeds, they are exhausting arent they. have you tried giving your baby one bottle of expressed milk to see if that keeps him satisfied for few hours?

fishiapankhurst Wed 12-Sep-07 13:14:56

it is probably a growth spurt (i believe usually due a big one around 12weeks), demand building supply. it shouldn't last long then will space further apart. have you got a sling?

charliemama Wed 12-Sep-07 13:20:24

He has occasionally been given a ff, but often will only take a max of 3 oz. Tried a sling he hated it. The only good thing is that he only feeds for about 5 mins and I seem to be blessed with jet propeeled milk supply.

Sazisi Wed 12-Sep-07 13:21:12

He's probably just doing this temporarily to increase supply as his needs increase
In my experience, they settle down to feeding every 3-4 hours of their own accord; keep going, it will get easier

I'm jealous he only wakes for one feed in the night envy

Sazisi Wed 12-Sep-07 13:23:28

If he's only feeding for 5 mins it could be that he's not getting enough to sustain him for longer? Try to persuade him to feed for longer, tickling his cheek etc

charliemama Wed 12-Sep-07 13:26:55

Will not suck unless he wants to. In fact often pulls away and cries when feeding. Had similar probs with my first 2, and know it got easier but emotional tired, worn down me can't stop worrying that this will go on for months. Also can't help feeling I should be better at this by now and that operhaps I'm doing the wrong thing feeding him so frequently, problem he really cries and ~I don't like leaving him to cry.

fishiapankhurst Wed 12-Sep-07 13:57:59

perhaps you have a fast let down and its putting him off? i think it is well worth contacting helpline to check, it might be somethign really straightforward.

ib Wed 12-Sep-07 14:05:23

Is he gaining weight well? Has he been checked for reflux?

My ds used to do this until we put him on meds for his reflux, then he immediately started having proper feeds and we were able to space him out more.

fishiapankhurst Wed 12-Sep-07 14:13:20

have you got numbers? here
Breastfeeding Network 0870 900 8787 Breastfeeding Network's Drugline 08700 604233
NCT supporter line 0870 444 8708
La Leche League 0845 120 2918
Association of BF Mothers 020 7813 1481 and 08444 122 949

charliemama Wed 12-Sep-07 14:46:43

Have phoned NCT twice and spoke to really nice ladies who suggested I feed from the same side over a 2, 3 or 4 hour period, which I am doing. Since then seems to be feeding more than before.
I definately think that fast flow is a problem and have tried expressing before feeds, and feeding in different positions.
My problem is if he is awake he is not very content and will always start crying, I tend to see if he wants a feed and this is resulkting in him having lots of little feeds. Did exactly the same with ds1 day AND night. I remember it stopped around 14 weeks when I started using Gina Fords routines and weaning him, but can't remember if I did anything else in particular or if it happened naturally.

charliemama Wed 12-Sep-07 14:47:28

Just reread this thread. Apologies fopr all of my typos!!

charliemama Wed 12-Sep-07 14:48:18

Can't believe I did a typo in my apologies for the typo message!!blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now