Talk

Advanced search

How long can I keep milk in bottle DD has drunk from?

(16 Posts)
NoviceKnitter Tue 11-Sep-07 11:48:21

Just posted this q on my expressing thread but as need quick answer posting again - just gave first bottle of expressed milk - she happily took half an ounce then refused any more and cried for breast. Fell asleep fairly quickly on breast so maybe it was for comfort.

Anyway, she's left nearly two ounces in the bottle. Can I keep and re-use?

LilRedWG Tue 11-Sep-07 11:49:17

I'd say use within the hour, but I'm sure someone more knowledgable will come along shortly.

Nip Tue 11-Sep-07 11:52:19

I know you musnt reheat milk, and with forumla you have to throw it away after 2 hours (i think), i'm sure someone will know and be along shortly! smile

littlelapin Tue 11-Sep-07 11:53:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoviceKnitter Tue 11-Sep-07 12:00:51

Thanks mums - and if i put back in fridge is it ok to warm up again (just by putting bottle in glass hot water)

StellaPolaris Tue 11-Sep-07 12:03:25

Saliva is usually quite full of germs, and any milk, whether formula, breast or covs milk, is a very potent breeding ground for bacteria. My healtvisiotor always said to discard milk within 10 minutes if baby had drank from the bottle, as saliva would enter the milk.

wheresthehamster Tue 11-Sep-07 12:05:15

agree, although I was told an hour max then discard.

NoviceKnitter Tue 11-Sep-07 12:15:09

ok, thanks. That'll teach me to kick off with such an ambitious portion...

Snogsuck Tue 11-Sep-07 13:23:20

NO!! Don't throw it - there is no need. You just can't heat it up again that's all - so if your lo will drink it at room temp then keep it out for the next feed (up to 10 hours). It really annoys me how little people know about bm!

StellaPolaris Tue 11-Sep-07 13:26:12

hmm
Good job I never completed my nct breastfeeding councelling course then, as I know nothing.

Snogsuck Tue 11-Sep-07 13:30:38

BM is completely different to cow's milk - it's a living thing - and is anti-bacterial.

StellaPolaris Tue 11-Sep-07 13:36:25

Yes, BM has antibacterial properties, but even after baby has been drinking from it and mixed its saliva into it? By what you are saying one could just make ONE mega bottle of expressed BM and let baby nibble on it the whole day. No need to express and freeze it in small portions, no need for many bottles or teats, or indeed a sterilizer?

Snogsuck Tue 11-Sep-07 13:42:46

No, it's suggested that it is only re-used once. It's not that miraculous! But yes there is no need to sterilise bottles for bm. Frozen bm is different and will only last for 24 hours after thawing and only a couple max at room temp. So it's a good idea to freeze in small quantities.

wheresthehamster Tue 11-Sep-07 13:44:37

this and other websites say don't save.

Snogsuck Tue 11-Sep-07 13:50:00

I was never able to save my milk as ds wouldn't take it at room temp, so I only ever gave small amounts in each bottle, so would sometimes give two bottles at one feed. I hated throwing it away knowing it was perfectly drinkable. kellymom.com is the best site there is for information about storage of bm.

NoviceKnitter Tue 11-Sep-07 19:34:10

Here's what Kellymom has to say. Seems like it's ok to keep for a while, but as opinions vary and we're new at this, I think I'll dump it this time.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/reusing-expressedmilk.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now