Talk

Advanced search

8 week old sleep/feed pattern

(5 Posts)
mummyofone2020 Fri 27-Mar-20 22:56:50

Thank you both for the reassurance. I never thought there would be so much to learn when it comes to BF. It feels like things can change daily..... thanks again

OP’s posts: |
Oly4 Fri 27-Mar-20 19:26:17

Sorry for typos!

Oly4 Fri 27-Mar-20 19:25:57

There is nothing abnormal about anything in your post. Breasts do settle down and can feel “empty” and get your baby is getting enough milk. It’s perfectly normal at this age for him to feed every hour or too.
It does get better and they do go for longer as they grow.
You’re doing great!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 27-Mar-20 19:22:13

If he's sleeping for 4 hours and gaining weight, you really don't need to worry.

And if he's on the 98th centile there's absolutely no worry that you aren't producing enough milk.

There are some things you can do to help though.

Are you feeding him lying down in the early hours? As long as you follow them safe bed sharing guide lines it's fine to do this.

If you do think he needs topping up, and absolutely nothing you've said suggests he does, could you top him up with ebm?

One mum I know leaked a lot and collected the leaked milk in breast shells which she then gave to LO around 10pm.

mummyofone2020 Fri 27-Mar-20 12:58:33

I am a first time mum and managed to EBF with relative ease (a rocky first few days and a bought of oral thrush but nothing more)
My DS was 9lbs 15ozs at Birth and has always been a good feeder. From around 1 week old he has fed every 3 hours. He had a bit of reflux a couple of weeks ago where he lost his appetite but I expressed using the Hakaa to reduce the swollen boobs. I took advice to feed little and often but it seems to have passed and he can handle bigger feeds. Since then I feel like my boobs haven't filled properly, always quite floppy and DS is feeding every 1.5-2 hours. (Through the night il get a roughly 4 hour initial sleep but then he won't settle again in the bedside crib and he's up every couple of hours again)

At his 6 week check he was just under 14lbs (98th percentile) but I worry he now isnt gaining weight as he should be.

Any advice on how to increase my milk supply to get longer stints out of him? I currently feel like he's sucking me dry and I'm reluctant to introduce formula.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in