Talk

Advanced search

Baby dropped down in percentile

(5 Posts)
MySonIsAlsoNamedBort Thu 12-Mar-20 00:43:29

Hi,
I'm wondering how concerned I should be, at my babies 6 week check up she measured in the 95th percentile, now at the four month check up she measures in the 85th percentile. That still seems nice and big and healthy to me! I'm exclusively breast feeding and really wanted to keep going until 6 months before introducing solids etc. The doctor suggested a top up feed of formula but I don't know. I have no judgements against formula, my baby just gets such bad eczema that I'm worried about introducing anything new when I've finally got her skin all cleared up.
Should I be worried if she's dropped a percentile point if she is still nice and big? I feel horrible and guilty now like I'm not feeding her enough but I feed her every 2.5-3 hours in the day and every 4 hours at night when she wakes.
Thanks in advance for any advice or anecdotal information!

OP’s posts: |
nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 12-Mar-20 00:47:59

I would just keep an eye on her weight and carry on as you are to be honest. Babies do adjust to their natural centile in the first few months. one of mine was at the top then dropped down to 50th for weight and at one point got lower but then pootled along and stayed on that and is now 12...

If she is happy and healthy then the centile is only a guide. I couldn't BF mine so had to formula feed but to me it sounds like all is going well for your little one so I would just carry on.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 14-Mar-20 19:26:49

I think you are right to question the GP’s advice. There is no reason to question the weight at this stage. If the baby was to drop 2 centiles, then things like tongue tie should be looked at and I’d probably speak to a BFC or your local LLL but just one centile is fine, especially if the baby has been weighed on different scales smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 14-Mar-20 19:29:39

This quick guide entitled “Is my older baby getting enough milk?” might help too smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 14-Mar-20 19:34:05

If she has eczema, it might be worth reading this article on dairy. Sorry for the multiple posts smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in