Talk

Advanced search

Bfing and hypethyroidism

(5 Posts)
bumperlicious Fri 07-Sep-07 11:38:41

apologies for the one handing feeding whilst typing!

just been told by the dr that i have hyperthyroidism (overactive throid). before i got pg i knew i tested positive for antibodies that could lead to autoimmune thyroid disease (which my mum also has) and have been having regular blood test to check my thyroid levels. pg and childbirth can trigger the onset of thyroid problems (so i've been reading)

apparently the medication to treat hyperthyroidism isn't suitable for bfing. i'm going in for a chat and a check up later and she said she ill probably have to refer me to an endocrinologist. Does anyone have any experience and know what they will recommend?

tiktok Fri 07-Sep-07 12:20:36

Always essential to delve into advice that something is not suitable with bf, bump -

this site would indicate that the most common treatment (apparently carbimazole) is not a problem, classified as giving 'minor adverse effects on theoretical ground'.

So worth asking your doc more about this.

gillhowe Fri 07-Sep-07 17:35:26

I have a hypo thyroid rather than a hyper so I am not an expert but I came across a few things in my own search!

I think it is controversial, some docs will always advise no as there is a risk that baba's tyroid function will be suppressed. Apparently there have been some studies saying that it is safe, although it sounds like the LO would need to be monitored as well. This might be a good starting pointwww.thyroid-info.com/articles/breastfeeding.htm

Some of the treatments for hyper involve radiation (it might only be very severe cases I am not sure)and therefore they are not compatible with bf, you can delay treatment though.

Hope it goes well

Talk to your endocrinologist about it but if I were you I'd do some research

bumperlicious Fri 07-Sep-07 18:40:25

Thanks for the replies. Dr said that after talking to the consultant they suspect that it will swing from hyper to hypothyroidism so they want me to have blood tests every 2 weeks for the next few months but aren't giving me anything for now. Hypothyroidism is easier to treat apparently. Don't know if this is a temporary problem that will stabilize itself or if I will have to be on medication for the rest of my life

gillhowe Fri 07-Sep-07 19:38:11

If its the postpartum thing then it usually starts hyper then goes hypo then does have a chance of going completely. BTW if you do get hypo and get levothyroxine then that is ok for bf (fingers crossed that no need).

I'm on the pills for life now sad but I do feel loads better grin

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: