Talk

Advanced search

Dream feed and sleeping thru the night

(14 Posts)
Hamishsmummy Thu 06-Sep-07 09:42:07

Hi, my 12wk ff ds has regularly been waking at 4am for a feed, his last feed being at 8pm b4 sleep. I'd like to try getting him to go right thru the night, so have introduced a dream feed at 11pm, but he still wakes at 4am. He now takes less feed during the day! Should I drop the dream feed and see if he'll start going thru the night in his own time? Any advice or similar stories gratefully received!

andiem Thu 06-Sep-07 10:33:46

Hi HM I didn't do this with my first and he had one feed at around 4 ish until he was 6 months
I have done it with my second and it has made not one farking bit of difference so have stopped it. It just became another feed for me so I stopped it at around 8 weeks he is 11 now and sleeps from 7 till 3 and then from 3 till 6 I find this ok so have just let things be

andiem Thu 06-Sep-07 10:34:19

sorry should add I am bf so not sure how relevant to you sorry grin

flowerybeanbag Thu 06-Sep-07 10:40:16

see this thread I started a while ago to celebrate DS sleeping through - it has a bit of stuff about what we did.

Hamishsmummy Thu 06-Sep-07 13:04:41

Cheers guys. I think we'll try FBB's method for a bit, especially as I think his 4am feed is out of habit too. If all else fails, I guess only one night time feed is not that bad!

Albsmum Thu 06-Sep-07 15:44:42

Not sure where your little one is sleeping etc. so not sure how relevant - but a friend of mine recommended this method - and it worked for her and me - so I'll pass it on. My little one was sleeping through the night from 8 weeks - and I promise I'm not gloating, I am convinced it's to do with the room we put him in. Basically at sleep time, he goes into his own room, in the dark - whether that's during the day or at night. We did this from 5 weeks - and from 5 weeks til 8 weeks we had the 4am (well, anywhere between 3 and 4) feed, and then at 8 weeks it just stopped. I am convinced it is the room thing. Although, if you are already doing this, then I guess I'm of no help ! Sorry.

andiem Thu 06-Sep-07 18:34:23

yes albsmum but that does go against advice re SIDS

zebedee1 Fri 07-Sep-07 09:52:27

Hi Hamish's mummy,
I have been dreamfeeding DS (17 weeks) for 2 weeks as ds was going to bed at 8pm and waking at 1amish for a feed. Since starting the dreamfeed he has only gone from 8pm- 2am -ish before waking for a feed.

Didn't dreamfeed last night cos i was too knackered to stay awake till 11pm.......... and the little angel slept through for the first time ever!!!! 8pm-6am.

I'm sure it was a one off but will try dropping the dreamfeed again tonight in hope of another miracle!

Hamishsmummy Fri 07-Sep-07 10:46:31

Ditched the dream feed last night as like Zeb I was too tired! DS woke at 12.30am 3.30 am and 6.30am screaming to be fed. Woe is me I'm going back to bed...

phdlife Fri 07-Sep-07 12:39:16

envy at the predictable babies!

phdlife Fri 07-Sep-07 12:39:43

(I mean ones who do the same thing more than 3 nights running...)

bumperlicious Fri 07-Sep-07 12:49:32

Hamish mummy, I feed DD at 10.30 then put her down. Until about 3 weeks ago she would wake between 3 and 5 for a feed. Then DH was on feeding duty for a few nights and one morning I went into the living room (where he was sleeping with her so I could get a decent nights sleep) and asked if she was ready to be fed and he said she hadn't fed in the night shock Basically he discovered that sticking a dummy back in her mouth in the night if she stirred sent her back to sleep for a few more hours, so for the most part she now sleeps from 11 till 7ish and yesterday didn't wake up till 8.30!

Don't know if that helps you, but again, I'm not gloating as it's nothing that we really do. The closest thing we have to a routine is waking her at 10.30 for a feed (she is properly awake) then making sure she doesn't go more than 3 hours between feeds in the the day.

mamadoc Fri 07-Sep-07 13:05:37

You can try it but I've got to say didn't work for us.
DD is exactly the same- has slept 8pm to 4am since about 12 weeks. I tried dreamfeed at 11pm for a good 2 weeks but all that happened was she started waking and crying for it rather than feeding whilst asleep and still woke at 4am. I knocked it on the head and now at 20 weeks she has slept 8-8 a couple of times but more usually till 5/6am. I am sure she's going to do it on her own soon and at least this way i don't need to try to figure out when to stop the dreamfeed.

Hamishsmummy Fri 07-Sep-07 18:25:41

LOL it would appear that sometimes the dreamfeed works and sometimes it doesn't wink Our little angels were sent to keep us on our toes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now