Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfed 3 month baby has not had a pooh for 12 days - Please help!

(19 Posts)
Hedkandikate Tue 04-Sep-07 22:12:06

Please help me - My 15 week daughter, who is exclusively breastfed hasn't had a pooh for 12 days. She tends to go every other day and has not gone for 5 days once, but never this long.
The Doctor has seen her and said she doesn't seem to be constipated, no hard stomach, swollen rectum but prescribed Laculose - 2 doses of 5ml per day.
She is not in distress but does seem to be getting more fussy when feeding, not sure if there is a link?
I'm so worried, is this normal, feel like I'm doing something wrong as its my breastmilk, thought breastfed babies rarely got constipated?
I'm on constant 'pooh watch' and feel more and more worried every time I change her - she is wetting her nappies tho, so I know she is not dehydrated, and is very gassy! Please help if you can.

tortoiseSHELL Tue 04-Sep-07 22:13:26

At this age it's probably fine. Just be warned - when the poo does come, it will be up her neck!

If she's b/fed then it's very unlikely she's constipated - if I were you I wouldn't bother with the lactulose, and just take lots of baby wipes and changes of clothing with you when you go out!

Hedkandikate Tue 04-Sep-07 22:21:54

Thanks so much for your quick response - should I give her anything - like water, or weakened fruit juice, or just leave it and sit it out?

pinkspottywellies Tue 04-Sep-07 22:24:51

My dd used to poo once every 10-14 days but like. Do a search and you'll find loads of people ask this question! It's pretty normal.

Jackstini Tue 04-Sep-07 22:27:03

She doesn't need anything else HKK - sounds like you are doing fine with the bf. 12 days isn't unheard of at all - my friends record with her ds (also exclusivelt bf) was 16 or 17 days!
She will probably go in the next couple of days - just be ready! grin

bilblio Tue 04-Sep-07 22:34:04

We were told in ante-natal classes that if a breastfed baby is constipated then their poos will be like rabbit droppings. If they aren't pooing then they're just digesting the breastmilk efficiently and there's nothing left over... but when they do eventually go they really make up for it grin

absandme Tue 04-Sep-07 22:37:06

Agree with all.....
She'll also in general at this age be taking a lot more nutrients from your milk so she'll poo less, however, this is now a build up of 12days worth of pooing less so put your overalls on for an explosion!

Anchovy Tue 04-Sep-07 22:45:10

I had something exactly the same. I phoned the HV who said it was probably ok, but the worst thing would be if it meant a blockage so if DS was out of sorts at all to take hime in.

Next day DS did a tiny pellet. Great - no blockage, I thought. I told my mate the line about how breast milk is really well digested and that was the sole output. She just laughed and said that I wasn't to bring DS round to her house until he had a proper poo.

The next day DS was also extremely cranky. He then did the biggest poo that you have ever seen - gigantic, out of the nappy you name it. I was a bit relieved and cleared it all up. But that was only the preamble. About an hour later he then did a stupendously large amount of poo - in all honestly it must have been about a quarter of his bodyweight. Everything he was wearing/lying on or in a 3 metre radius had to be binned.

So good luck. Don't buy into the "only pellets" mythology. Ensure your child is wearing babygros with feet attached or socks at all times. grin

nurseyemma Tue 04-Sep-07 22:46:13

My dd went ages without q poo when breastfeeding. I xmas day we went round to my friends house and she exploded!!

Not unusual for a breast fed babe at all, didn't know lactulose was px for babes.

Is there a diet (yours) link?

suzi2 Tue 04-Sep-07 22:48:43

agree with the others. Both DS and DD have been infrequent pooers. DD goes anything from 4 to 11 days. They are massive when they come though I find not too runny as they've had time to thicken up a bit smile I find/found that they both got fussier the nearer to poo day they got. Then they would take a huge (unlike them) sleep and present me with a few dirty nappies in a row.

eldestgirl Tue 04-Sep-07 22:54:51

I got prescribed some glycerine suppositories, but in all fairness, although it was only about 5 days worth, I was just about to get on a 13 hour flight.... They are magic though. They don't even need to dissolve. I popped one into DS and ten minutes later, it was ejected, along with huge amounts of mustard like poo.

Hedkandikate Tue 04-Sep-07 23:16:49

Thanks guys - starting to feel better to know I'm not the only one.

NurseyEmma - dietwise I'm pretty good, however, I do have a couple of glasses of wine a week, and do have 3 cups of tea a day, eat healthy diet, not so much fruit more veg tho - and I go at least once a day...is there anything I should include or cut out?

Hedkandikate Wed 05-Sep-07 12:36:14

Hooray - she had a huge pooh today!

Thanks so much for all your advice, its the first time I've used Mumsnet and you all made me feel much better with your support and advice!

Now...all I need to know is whats best for removing baby poop stain!!!!! :-)

Anchovy Wed 05-Sep-07 17:10:47

Napisan is brilliant. Vanish sticks worked into the stain is also good. Often both.

Sometimes binning the offending itemm is the only solution smile

StealthPolarBear Wed 05-Sep-07 17:19:42

Would that be from clothes, towels, walls or ceiling?

Jackstini Wed 05-Sep-07 21:32:48

Never thought I would be so pleased to hear about a poo?! grin
Try biotex for the stain HKK

Hedkandikate Wed 05-Sep-07 21:39:15

I must say I was shocked at how huge her pooh was but also secretly quite proud :-) Daft isn't it!
Thanks again!

absandme Wed 05-Sep-07 21:56:35

Glad she's been & you should always be proud of your daughter even about poo's!!

Wait til she starts solids, a little run down for you....

Blueberrys produce black poo - quite shocking but easier to clean up than the black meconium first poo!! grin

bananas - yellow with tiny black very thin (couple mm long) looking worm type things!

orange food - orange poo

new lumpy food - quite similar when comes out, specially beans or carrot lumps not fully digested TMI hmm

It's a mum thing being obsessed with poo, or is it just me????

fishie Wed 05-Sep-07 22:03:44

hooray hkk!

you do not need to worry about diet having an effect on your milk by the way, it can't 'get into' it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now