Talk

Advanced search

is it possible that ds2 is using a poor latch to slow down milk flow?

(5 Posts)
Tutter Sun 02-Sep-07 21:30:41

remember had the same thing with ds1

start off with a good latch each feed - head tilted back, wait for gape (or gently press on chin), open mouthed latch

but after a moment or two he always pauses and adjusts latch so less of the nipple is in his mouth. i can feel that it is less of a 'deep' latch iykwim

i wonder if i have such a fast let-down that it is difficult/unpleasant for him with a good latch?

ds1 was a very fast feeder - after a while we were down to literally 2 or 3 mins per breast

i guess it doesn't really matter - ds2 gaining weight well (up from 25th centile at birth to 91st at 6 weeks) and i'm not in pain - but it's strange, isn't it?

Tutter Sun 02-Sep-07 21:31:29

to explain better, once he has adjusted, it is really only the nipple, not the areola, in his mouth, and his lips are almost pursed

FrayedKnot Sun 02-Sep-07 21:34:07

I think DS used to do this. I had one breast (left?) which often used to get full to bursting if he went too long between feeds or I was building up supply and I just used to feel DS couldn;t get a proper latch on it. It used to get painful because he would be sucking on my nipple instead of taking it all in. But I thought it was because he couldn;t latch, iyswim.

I used to express a bit off when it was hugely full.

Tutter Mon 03-Sep-07 09:41:08

bump in case mears/tiktok about

Bodkin Mon 03-Sep-07 10:13:31

Hi Tutter,

Don't know if you're doing this already, but a tip I learnt from here is once the let-down kicks in, to take DD off the boob and hold a muslin over Trevi Fountain of milk coming out until it subsides a bit, then put DD back on. Makes the feed much more comfortable for her, and she's less windy too. She complains a bit but I let her gnaw on my knuckle while I hold the muslin. I seem to remember DD1 having a similar problem wiht my fast let-down, but she learnt to suck fast after a while (like your DS1) so they do get used to it in time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now