Talk

Advanced search

Caffeine in ground coffee (taylors) whilst breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
Justasconfusedwithnumber2 Wed 29-Jan-20 08:16:10

I'm so confused how much caffeine I'm drinking. I am currently having one taylors ground coffee a day in a cafetiere. I would love more but have no idea how much caffeine I am consuming while bfeeding. Googling doesn't tell me the content. Any idea what I can get away with 😴

OP’s posts: |
FiveFarthings Wed 29-Jan-20 08:27:52

One cup/mug of caffeinated coffee or tea a day is what I’ve read in various baby books, online etc.

I’m sure a cafetière of coffee is fine in terms of quantity

xtinak Wed 29-Jan-20 09:00:15

Caught my eye because I'm drinking coffee right now! How old is your baby? My guess is you can probably go up to two mugs without ill effect. If your baby stops sleeping then maybe cut back, but if you don't see ill effects it's probably ok! My DD is 14 months now and I've stopped counting now. I've had coffee with plenty of breastfeeding mums who never seemed concerned. I think the guidance on these things is a bit random because the available science is limited. Some guidance says 150mg limit, some says 200mg limit, some says 300mg! I guess, though I am no doctor/biologist, that it probably also depends on your own metabolism and your baby's metabolism and caffeine sensitivity. Probably one of the many things that's not worth worrying about that much. Kelly Mom is always my go to kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/caffeine/

CatteStreet Wed 29-Jan-20 09:02:49

I drank more than this (prob about two mugs of ground coffee in a cafetiere, and sometimes tea as well though I would try to drink decaf tea - hate decaf coffee) when I was bf. It didn't have any evident ill effects (none of them great sleepers but evidently not linked to that).

Justasconfusedwithnumber2 Wed 29-Jan-20 09:27:48

Thanks all, baby is 3 weeks old 😊

OP’s posts: |
OopsPregnantAgain Wed 29-Jan-20 09:33:51

Drink away! The amount of caffeine in your breastmilk is tiny and then it has to go through the baby's digestive system, which breaks it down further.

This is in contrast to being pregnant when you actually share a blood supply and therefore the baby gets the same amount as you drink.

It's the same with alcohol. The breastmilk of a drunk woman contains less alcohol than naturally occurs in fruit juice.

Harrysmummy246 Wed 29-Jan-20 20:15:31

I went back to caffeinated as soon as DS was born. But i've never had more than 2 mugs of ground coffee per day, and not usually in the afternoon, as it still affects my sleep otherwise and it's a precious commodity even now

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in