Talk

Advanced search

Can you restart breastfeeding after a break?

(18 Posts)
GillL Fri 31-Aug-07 20:35:04

I gave up breastfeeding on Sunday after having lots of problems. I'm now feeling really guilty and wish I'd carried on and persevered. I tried expressing for a couple of days after but it took up to 2 hours just to get 3oz even with an electric pump. Is it possible to start again?

bohemianbint Fri 31-Aug-07 20:36:33

Yeah, I believe so. You can start again after a week or so, and expressing isn't a great indicator as to your supply. How old is your baby? What problems were you having? Can we help?

kiskidee Fri 31-Aug-07 20:39:14

yes you can, normally.

GillL Fri 31-Aug-07 21:15:04

He's 16 days old. My main problem was sore nipples. He was feeding for hours and it took its toll. I was getting really stressed and upset. part of the problem was latching. I got some help last Friday from an NCT counsellor but I felt it was too late. Even if I can do 1 or 2 feeds a day I would be happy. I feel that I gave up too easily and should have tried harder.

absandme Fri 31-Aug-07 22:03:29

It's hard to cope with the guilt of not being able to breastfeed when you really want to do it. I couldn't latch and went to expressing for first 4-5wks, I expressed every 3 hours for apporx 15mins each side (that coupled with feeding ebm to dd meant naff all sleep for weeks which didn't help how I felt).
Friends said to give up but in my heart I knew I wanted to do it.
If you want to give up don't beat yourself up over it.
If you want to bf it'll be hard work but really rewarding. Have you another meeting booked with the bf counsellor?
What were her suggestions?
I had to try latching every time I fed but kept failing & it took a week of attempts & still failed, still expressed every 3hours then 2nd meeting with nct bf c'llor she moved dd's head slightly & latched straight away, no looking back (although looking to end soon!)
I suffered with sore nips & aired them a lot (not hooking bra back on after feed & remembering to put back with pads when leaked!!) Poss try diff breastpads (if using) as I found that helped. There are threads on breast pads & sore nips which may help.
Good luck & well done!

puffylovett Fri 31-Aug-07 22:05:40

yes it is possible, you can google relactation - basically you let him suckle for a while before you give bottle, and eventually milk will ome back apparently.

however like abs says, best to get latch checked and rechecked

sorry to here your having problems. I also suffered too.by the time I got home from hospital I had cracked and bleeding nipples and I was only in hospital for 1 night.I really struggled with latching on and was going to give up too.
I agree with absandme about not covering them and letting them 'air' also lanisoh (not sure of spelling)cream is fantastic IME.It is not too late to carry on breast feeding but it does mean using the pump alot for a few days.I followed a plan to increase my supply and also took herbal tablets for a few days too.

paolosgirl Fri 31-Aug-07 22:16:19

Second lansinoh. I think it's new, and it is the best thing since sliced bread, easily. I got some samples from my midwife, but the chemist should be able to order you some in. It's a bit pricey, as I recall, but soooo worth it. You smear a bit on, and don't have to wipe it off before you feed - it's some kind of magic lanolin, I think.

Yes thats the one. Isn't it amazing stuff Think its around 9 or 10 pounds but soooooo worth it. Probably would have given up bf if it wasn't for the relief from this cream.

sorry paulosgirl didnt mean to copy with the 'sooo worth it.'grin

paolo blush sorry again

paolosgirl Fri 31-Aug-07 22:26:14

LOL!!! grin

kiskidee Fri 31-Aug-07 22:34:30

a bf counsellor will hopefully see this thread soon.

I second seeing a bf counsellor again to help you with latch.

I also recommend co-bathing and lots of skin to skin in bed. baby down to nappy and you in a bra on top, or no bra....

It is to get your baby to reacquaint with breast feeding. With a baby this young, they have a strong instinct to latch so try to let your baby dictate coming to the breast and you play a passive role. I am thinking of this video as about the latching instinct there is a thread already on MN about how others with older babies than yours achieved a better latch by letting their baby take the lead.

It is not ^the answer^ but it is something you can do until you see a counsellor face to face again who can help you with your latch.

I would start to look into getting a lactation aid.

absandme Fri 31-Aug-07 22:52:49

Forgot to say, good advice from counsllr to help milk ( I give this advice a lot, thinking of changing my name to it...)

Rest when you can and sleep when baby sleeps if you can , eat and drink plenty too.

If you're stressed & tired it's not always good for milk production.

relactation on www sounds like a good idea to look into too!

chipmonkey Fri 31-Aug-07 23:40:02

Perfectly possible! Even adoptive mothers can feed their babies if they have breastfed a baby previously so re-lactating after a few days shouldn't be impossible. Some of them use that gadget that kiskidee linked to. Deffo make another appointment with the lactation consultant!

GillL Sat 01-Sep-07 16:56:50

Thanks everyone. I tried to get ds to latch on this morning but he really didn't seem interested. I guess it's because the milk didn't come flowing straight out like it does with the bottle. I'm going to try again later today. Will definitely start expressing again to get production going again. I know I've still got milk because I can squeeze it out fairly easily still.

absandme - the bf counsellor doesn't do home visits but attends an NCT meeting every other Friday. I think there's another one this Friday coming so I'll try to get there if I can keep the milk going long enough.

kiskidee Sat 01-Sep-07 17:30:33

Have you tried to contact a bf counsellor from one of the other charities who may able to help/see you before then?

Breastfeeding Network 0870 900 8787
NCT supporter line 0870 444 8708
La Leche League 0845 120 2918
Association of BF Mothers 0870 401 7711

also, there are baby cafesand i am supposing that there must be one nearish you in Kent. They are ususally run by a bf counsellor.

absandme Sat 01-Sep-07 17:31:01

Good luck expressing, it's not always easy!
When dd wasn't latching & I was attempting at every feed, I would sometimes try expressing to ensure the milk flow was there so she didn't have to wait for the letdown.

I'd relax & then try latching, I failed apart from about twice & I tried at every feed (which was about every 3hours!) for a week until I saw the bfc again.

It really is hard work so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Any joy looking at relactation on www?

Lastly, when she did latch & took a proper feed I almost cried & so did my bfc!! It was emotional & oh so fantastic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now