Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ds2 keeps biting me when feeding

(9 Posts)
JodieG1 Fri 31-Aug-07 20:03:00

He's 7 and a half months and now has 2 bottom teeth with another coming at the top and he's bitten me a few times now. It's getting to the point where I worry when I feed him in case he bites me again as it really hurts. Each time I've said ouch quite loudly as a reaction to the pain but nothing has changed.

Does anyone have any advice as I do still want to bf him but I don't want to get bitten.

JodieG1 Fri 31-Aug-07 20:44:31

Anyone?

hercules1 Fri 31-Aug-07 20:47:00

If you search past threads there are billions on this with lots of suggestions. Good luck

Pickie Fri 31-Aug-07 20:54:13

push his face into your boob, did the trick for a bit with DD

whomovedmychocolate Fri 31-Aug-07 20:56:18

Saying OUCH loudly encourages him (yes I know, it hurts, I've been there). Instead take him off the breast and end the feed there and then. He will soon learn one nip for mummy means no nip of milk for him. ss

sheffmummy Fri 31-Aug-07 21:16:28

My ds did this when his bottom teeth came in for a few weeks but seemed to stop of his own accord, I did used to shout 'ouch' due to shock/pain which I think scared him, poor little thing! He seemed to just get used to having teeth there and the 'novelty' wore off. I did unlatch him whenever he bit but he seemed to only do it at the end of a feed so I dont know whether that helped. Good luck

JodieG1 Fri 31-Aug-07 21:23:16

Thanks, I'll try searching too.

I felt awful before as when I said ouch it was quite loud and it upset him, his bottom lip went right down so I gave him a huge cuddle to make him feel better, he's really sensitive.

I hope he stops soon.

purpleduck Fri 31-Aug-07 21:27:02

I squealed...not on purpose, but it did stop him from doing it again....did the same with my second, and she never really bit again either....good luck!!

absandme Fri 31-Aug-07 21:27:07

I can't speak from experience but remember reading somewhere that saying ouch (although an automatic reaction to any pain) is positive reinforcement & will encourage more biting .... baby thinks, ooooh if I do this (bite) then mummy does this (ouch).

If you unlatch immediately you can also say 'that hurt mummy' & relatch again.

By unlatching each time he bites it interferes with his milk so he should stop.

Like I said, this is from reading & I've not tried it. I also read sometimes babies bite as they are just playing and sometimes it's when they are not quite ready for a feed.

Not sure if this helps, sorry I can't speak from experience ...... yet!!! dd nearly 8 months & still no teeth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now