Talk

Advanced search

Which bottle teats are closest to a nipple?

(26 Posts)
BetaMummy Fri 31-Aug-07 13:36:08

My 6mo ds2 has been exclusively b/fed so far but I go back to work in 3 weeks so need to get him started on a bottle sad. He has so far refused my attempts with an Avent teat and 2 types of formula and ebm. Has anyone found a brand of bottle/teat that is closer to a nipple or indeed any other shape that worked for them? Any other tips gratefully received!

Iklboo Fri 31-Aug-07 13:38:30

We found MAM teats close to nipple as baby has to "work" them like a breast to get the milk out. They're the only ones DS would take

BetaMummy Fri 31-Aug-07 13:41:06

Thanks - do you know if they are available at Boots or Mothercare or is it an internet jobby?

Iklboo Fri 31-Aug-07 13:43:07

From both - and superdrug as well I think. Widely available and come in 3 sizes. Recommend you but Size 1 AND Size 2 and see which best suits your DS

BetaMummy Fri 31-Aug-07 13:44:30

Great. I'm off to the shops then.

Monkeybar Fri 31-Aug-07 13:47:18

AGree that MAM are teh best - I tried every type of teat going and these were the ones that my ds would accept. Just so you know, MAM teats work on all the wide necked bottles (Avent, boots own etc), btu with your lo being quite young, it's probably best to use the MAM bottles at first (a bit of a pain to clean, because they have a special valve at the bottom)

preggersagain Fri 31-Aug-07 13:47:53

or the tomee tipee closer to nature ones?

mummydoc Fri 31-Aug-07 13:49:52

i used tommee tippee "nobbly nub " or something like that , maybe rebranded now as this was 3 yrs ago, they where nobbly and went in/out like a nipple , worked a treat om dd2 who was a boob addict !!

BalletMum Fri 31-Aug-07 13:52:12

My dd 4 months takes the tommee tippee closer to nature ones for ebm with no problems at all. Easy to clean etc too!!

tiktok Fri 31-Aug-07 14:21:59

BetaMummy - any chance of your baby moving to a cup?

Unless you work full time and long hours, he should be ok.

He can have formula or ebm in the cup and it saves you hassling with getting teats and bottles he likes.

BetaMummy Fri 31-Aug-07 14:28:32

I hadn't thought about a cup. I'll be working one long day and 3 half days so I'm not sure a cup would work on the long day, especially as he's only just starting with tiny amounts of fruit to eat. I think I'll try the MAM teats and if still no joy think about a cup.

chipmonkey Fri 31-Aug-07 14:37:32

My ds3 at first took the MAM teat after a battle!! then refused it again!! Eventually he took the Playtex Nurser with NaturalLatch teat. The "bottle" is a holder which takes disposable liners so not very eco-friendly but as long as he was drinking I was happy. Staff at our nursery seemed a bit iffy about cups, tbh. Don't think they would have had the patience to faff with one.

ProjectIcarusinhercar Fri 31-Aug-07 14:39:09

Can i just but in and point out it depends on your nips and your let down?

Fast letdown - you need a quick flowing teat. I think I cocked up with my first offering slow flow teats (avoiding nipple confusion) when I could drown her with my letdown.

Closer to nature and mam both acceptable here for texture though.

chipmonkey Fri 31-Aug-07 15:37:26

Actually, is the fact that ds1 and ds2 were fine with Avent teats and that ds3 would only accept the playtex latex teats a reflection on the increasing sagginess of my norks?grin

chipmonkey Fri 31-Aug-07 15:38:29

<<<<<chip wonders whether they have invented a teat softer than latex for when ds4 comes along>>>>>

NormaStanleyFletcher Fri 31-Aug-07 15:39:45

Can I put a vote in for NUK?

Tried the closer to nature and all sorts of others, but NUK were the only ones she would have

livysmum Fri 31-Aug-07 19:44:07

DD would only take to Dr. Browns bottles and we bought one of every, I though definatly she'd go for the tommy tippee huge nipple cuz to me it looked like it but she opted for Dr. brown and shortly after being moved to the bottle she took to a NUK dummie...which is great cuz they are orthadontically correct. BUT I will say that had i have been able to get the ones here in Canada, I'd have gone for the Playtex bottles that you fill a fitted baggie with milk and puch out the air so no gas is in the milk ...ergo no windy pains.
GOOD LUCK!

BetaMummy Mon 03-Sep-07 11:27:09

Just had success - he took a couple of ounces of ebm using the MAM teat!! I'm relieved I won't have to phone my boss to say "you know I said I was coming back on the 24th, well.....". The next challenge will be to move over to formula as I have trouble getting much out from expressing, but I'm feeling much more positive now.

Thanks everyone.

winegumss Mon 03-Sep-07 11:31:20

i always liked the NUK teats as they have a hole at the top to let air in when the baby is drinking. much better than advent. you can get them in most big boots chains

NAB3 Mon 03-Sep-07 11:35:29

these

winegumss Mon 03-Sep-07 12:36:48

No. I don't know how you do that! Staying on the mothercare page just type NUK in the search box and they come up. I really liked them as did all children, I also think it reduces wind due to the little hole letting air in at the top. nb if you use them remember to keep the hole facing up/under the nose, otherwise milk comes dripping out of the bottom.

winegumss Mon 03-Sep-07 12:37:57

teats look pretty close to the real thing too! x good luck

summerlovebaby Mon 03-Sep-07 16:06:30

Hello there,

I'm having the same problems...dd is 8 months old and refuses any kind of milk (including ebm) except from source. today i'm trying the cold turkey method but she is so upset and its tearing me apart sad

gillhowe Mon 03-Sep-07 18:07:51

I tried just about every teat on the market and nearly bankrupted myself in the process!

For DS it was a complete waste of time, finally after a few weeks of complete consistency and a lot of patience he got it (although he did learn to drink water from a cup first).

Lots of people seem to find a teat that works when others dont (I've heard good things about nuk teats) but i think in a lot of cases there isn't a magic bullet and you just have to keep plugging away!!

What worked for us:

1. Finding the right flow rate, variflows worked for us

2. Using the same bottle / teat for each and every feed

3. If he got upset I would take the bottle away immediately and wait until the next feed

4. Lots and lots of time, it took us weeks

5. I gave up with the typical baby feeding position (you know the resting on your arm pose). DS hates that he likes sitting beside me leaning back on pillows or just sitting up

6. All the advice says keep your boobs away! DS likes to sit next to me under my right arm right next to me right boob (always his favourite)

7. TBH he might have just reached an age where he was better at learning things. He was over 7 months when he actually got the hang of it.

Anyway, I hope yours works it out quicker than mine did - good luck!!

jumpyjan Mon 03-Sep-07 18:18:34

I have just had success (after DD refusing Avent bottle) with Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now